Installing a stern mounted tilt switch

Old 03-24-08, 09:46 AM
Installing a stern mounted tilt switch

I have a 07 Glastron GXL 205 with a 270 hp Volvo GXI and was wondering where to find out specific instructions on how to wire up a stern mounted trim switch to my boat electrical system..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 09:59 AM
I assume you have a dash mounted controller now and want to add another to the stern for ?? (trailering purposes?). Should be do-able - but I would question the wisdom of mounting an electrical control in what is typically a very wet location...... More details please...

Old 03-24-08, 12:37 PM
My current switch is on the shift/throttle assy and is thumb operated. I bought the factory cable for the GXL 205 stern remote switch installation. My trouble is that it didn't come with specific instructions for my engine. Mounting it isn't an issue. It is designed to be mounted on the stern above the ladder for easy tilt of the engine for working on it, changing lower lube etc. The hookup is the problem. I figured there had to be someone out there in the boating world that worked for a dealership that put these on that would know where I could find out. I tried Glastron over a week ago but no return answer. The part they sent me and use on all units is the same waterproof Merc unit. It is about 2 inch in dia and simply states up and down.. I really appreciate any info you provide.

Old 03-24-08, 12:43 PM
We could go back and forth till we got it right - but the easiest thing to do is to go to your dealer (just recently bought it, right) and ask the mechanic on staff for his recommendations.

Old 03-24-08, 01:16 PM
I will try, but the dealer locally is none to happy that I bought my boat from another dealer in another city. The economy is too good in the Wichita area and the local dealer would not make me an offer even close to the one I got 400 miles away. I saved 25% off the price where I bought it as compared to 10% locally and got the color I wanted. If I had known what I know now I would have just had the guy put it on.. You live and learn. Thank you for your input..