New at this

Old 04-02-08, 11:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New at this

Ok, I'll tell you again I am not only new to boating but also to these forums...so here goes.

Two weeks ago, my son and I began restoring a 16ft aluminum jon boat. I've already spent more repairing and replacing than I did for the boat.

Now, with most known projects completed, to at least our satisfaction (it floats), we need to paint it. My question is what kind of primer and paint do I need to use for the aluminum surfaces?

Old 04-02-08, 07:50 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard mate. For a good job on aluminum, start with clean - no oils or grease - and lightly sanded to remove any aluminum oxide. Use a primer designed for aluminum. You may be able to get it at an auto parts house that sells paint to body shops. It will probably be a two part primer. Ask, and get the catalyst if needed.

Once the clean surfaces are primed, lightly scuff sand and apply two coats of epoxy based finish paint. Let dry and scuff sand between coats. Of course you will tack rag the boat between coats to remove all dust.

Great father / son project.

Old 04-02-08, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Dont know if you are around where you can get good paint for it. Might go to http://www.defender.com They will have what you need. Did you check all rivets they all tight??

Old 04-03-08, 06:43 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good advice above - but I might suggest you reconsider. Typically, a 16ft Jon boat is used in shallow waters (fishing coves/rivers/etc.) and is used rather roughly (not saying it's your case, but a generality). That paint job is going to get scuffed/scratched/beat up pretty quickly. Bare aluminum doesn't look bad, in my opinion, and those "oopsies" will more less blend into the character of the boat.

If you do decide to paint it, I would suggest using the boat a half dozen times prior to painting to ensure you've identified any leakage (rivets/seams) so you can repair them without messing with your new paint job.

Old 04-07-08, 08:09 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
be very careful what type of paint you use. What ever you do don't use a marine antifouling paint. It contains copper and will have a galvanic reaction and severly corrode your aluminum. I suggest you fill the boat up with water on the trailer and see if you can find any leaks. If you do find any leaks, Lab Metal by Alvin Products is the best product for the job in my opinion. It is an aluminum based epoxy so it will not have a galvanic reaction. Most other products like JB weld and those amazing brazing rods all contain other metals which is bad for your aluminum. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: