How to loosen up my steering

Old 04-13-08, 12:55 PM
How to loosen up my steering

I just bought a 95' Procraft with a 200HP Merc EFI. I took it out for the first time today and it is very hard to turn the steering wheel. I obviously dont want it really loose but i dont want to have to use both hands and all my muscle to turn the boat either. Is there like a tensioner or something that i can make it a little bit looser?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-08, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check for any tie downs or other devices used to hold the motor steady when in transit.

Next, make sure that your steering cables are not binding.

Then check the motor itself. Many have a clamp around the bottom of the power head which can be tightened to retard motor swing. This may be the problem, and loosening it a bit will allow the motor to turn freely.

Old 04-14-08, 10:53 AM
Good advice above. Does the motor turn freely on the trailer? If so, then your steering cables are probably okay. You can disconnect the cables at the engine easily enough to see if the engine pivots easily also. If the problem is "under heavy load", - and in one direction - then the trim tab on the bottom of the engine may need to be adjusted to counteract engine torque.

Old 04-14-08, 07:18 PM
i will check it out of the water the next time I untarp it. But my right turns were ok, but the left turn was the real problem. I could hardly turn it at all to the left going about 50mph.

Old 04-15-08, 05:36 AM
That would be your trim tab at the base of your lower unit that counteracts torque at speed (looks like a vertical fin at the bottom of the lower unit). There is a screw on the tab (probably allen head) that you can loosen and adjust the tab left or right. Sounds like you need to turn it a bit to the right (the rear of the tab move to starboard). This tab acts as a foil to even out the forces of prop torque at speed. It will require trial and error to get it exactly where you want it.. small adjustments can make a big difference - so don't just "honk it" to the right.

Old 04-15-08, 12:39 PM
Thanks Thezster, I will check that out when i get home tonight

Old 04-15-08, 02:37 PM
Start with 1/4inch adjustments.... and let us know how it turned out.

Old 04-15-08, 03:54 PM
ok, i got home and looked at it, and it was a good 1/2" - 3/4" skewed to the Port side. I loosened it up and turned it so that it looked straight/parallel with the motor and boat. We'll try that out and see how it works the next time i get out. I definitly beleive this will eliminate a lot or all the problem. It seems hard to beleive that the way it was would cause the problem, but does make a little sense now as it was a lot easier to turn at no wake speeds. By the way, you were talking about the vertical fin that sticks down right above the prop right?

Old 04-15-08, 04:25 PM
You got it! That little fin makes a world of difference at speed. The way it was set ( to port) will make a right hand turn easy, but a left hand turn a booger. That adjustment should make your travels a lot easier - and, as you use the boat more - you'll continue to fine tune it until the boat stays on a straight course at speed - with no hands on the wheel.

Old 04-16-08, 06:24 AM
Thanks, i'll take my ratchet with me the next time i take it out. Hopefully on Sunday. I'll keep you informed on how it works.