Motor Starting Problem

Old 04-15-08, 01:15 PM
Motor Starting Problem

I have a 1995 Sea Ray I/O my boat will set for weeks at a time. When I launch and start the engine it takes right off (4.3 Litre) and runs beautiful all day long. After setting overnight when I start it it runs for a short time and then dies. I have to hot wire the fuel pump to get it to restart. After that it's fine I can start and stop all day long no more problems until it again set's overnight.

I recently changed the pressure switch mounted on the side of the block, the fuel pump is wired through this but that did not fix the problem.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 02:41 PM
First thing to check on a boat that age is the fuel filter.... could be clogging up.

Next: How long has it been since the carb was overhauled/rebuilt. Your float needle may have "set" and is sticking.... Could be a myriad of other issues.. but that comes to mind first for me.

Old 04-16-08, 01:48 PM
The boat was just service & tested other than this ocassional problem everythings fine. What tells the electronic fuel pump to turn on and off? This seems to be more the problem than the carb.

Bob

Old 04-16-08, 03:50 PM
Your fuel pump should turn on when the key is turned to the start/on position and run continuously. Easy enough to check - though a bit messy and potentially dangerous.. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if you have fuel pressure (run the line into a proper gas can). If the problem is intermittent (sounds like it is) - then this test will probably not show much as those things "always work" when your testing them.

Old 04-17-08, 07:58 AM
I know that when I have the starting problem that the fuel pump is not running. I didn't know that the pump should run all the time. That gives me something solid to go on.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Old 04-17-08, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No the pump does not always run all the time, they, being electric typically have a pressure shut off so when the pump comes to head it will shut off. It sounds like a check valve problem in the pump, I think I would replace the pump, it is the most probable cause.

Search this Thread