Too much play in steering

Old 04-24-08, 05:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Too much play in steering

I have a 17 foot inboard/outboard boat that is 1 year old. Few weeks ago I was at the lake and I was trying to run all the additives put in the gas for the winterization so I was doing about 45 miles and hour. As I was driving it back to the dock, the boat lost its steering and did a very sharp 180 almost flipping the the boat. I open the engine compartment and found the pin that holds the steering rod and the outdrive together had come out. On a closer inspection, this pin was supposed to have a carter pin in it to prevent from coming out but when they manufactured the boat they did not put one in it. I place the pin back and went on to the dock. The next time I used the boat, I notice that when I hold the steering straight at low speeds the boat will zigzag. I never felt it before. I took the boat to the dealer and the told me it is ware of the outdrive. It is common. This boat is practically new. My QUESTION is how much play does the outdrive should have? Can any of parts have stretched when the boat did the sharp turn? How can this be repair? I am new at boating so I don't know if I am over reacting. Thank You!

Old 04-25-08, 04:09 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There should be little to no play in the steering, What kind of engine and outdrive is it, Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo penta? Have someone wriggle the steering wheel while you watch the steering arm toward the rear of the engine looking for anything loose, the play coud be several things, but I can't believe it would wear out in a year of use, is it still under Warranty? how about a second opinion.

Old 04-25-08, 06:01 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Greenguy is right on. When the pin came loose and the outdrive swung hard, something came loose. Follow his suggestion and search hard for a bracket that's broken/come loose. There is no way that this is "normal wear and tear"... Your dealer is avoiding the issue.

Old 04-26-08, 12:06 AM
A
Thank you for your response. Yes. the boat is under warranty and I also bought additional coverage. The engine is a Mercruser 3.0. I am going to press the dealer to fix it. They checked everything and told me it looks fine but I want the steering be like how it was before this incident. thanks again.

Old 04-26-08, 06:12 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also ,if your boat banked that hard yor trim fin may be turned to far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: