Jet to prop conversion

Old 05-11-08, 10:12 PM
Jet to prop conversion

I am looking at buying a jet boat with a volvo penta 570 with a 3 stage hamilton pump I am curious what will be involved in converting it to a propeller driven boat. Also is the volvo penta 570 a reliable motor?

Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you a mechanical engineer? If not, are you willing to pay one to design this? You would be better off buying a prop boat in the first place.

Old 05-12-08, 05:43 AM
Not really a cost effective project, in my opinion, - but certainly "do-able", with enough creativity/hard work. I doubt, however, that you would be happy with the results.

Take a look at your jet pump system itself. You're talking about removing that unit, leaving a huge hole in the rear bottom and back of your boat that will need to be repaired. Second issue is type of new prop propulsion. Do you want direct drive, inboard/outboard, V-drive, surface drive?? You face the possible need to reposition your engine in the boat itself - plus the design/manufacture of custom drive shafts. You'll also need a transmission assembly, as your jet pump doesn't use one. The list of negatives goes on and on and the prices go up and up. As mentioned above - you'll be happier buying a boat with a prop to begin with.....

Now - if you wanted to go the other direction... that's a pretty simple conversion.......

Old 05-12-08, 08:02 PM
Wow

I thought it was a matter of un-bolting the jet drive and buying a penta leg I did not know the motor might be out of alingment etc.....
Any info on the 570 volvo penta motor ang the hamilton jet are they reliable etc.......

Old 05-13-08, 03:36 AM
Hamilton is a popular brand and I am not aware of any reputation issues... Let's face it - a jet pump is about the simplest propulsion device available (other than paddles) - with few moving parts. Those parts that do wear out are easily replaced.

Volvo has a good reputation in my world, though they can be extremely expensive to work on (parts are outrageous). I prefer Mercruiser/PCM/etc., as they use Ford or GM Blocks, making basic parts and repairs straightforward and not too costly.

Search this Thread