cam driven water pump help

Old 05-27-08, 06:39 AM
cam driven water pump help

Hi,
I bought a rebuilt engine (455 olds)from the paper to replace the blown up one in my jet boat jet boats dont have waterpumps how do i remove this unit or is it safe to use this with my jet boat?
thanks all

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 08:21 AM
Oh, lucky you... that olds can make lots of power - but is very spendy to do so.... aftermarket speed parts for an Olds are about 2 - 3x more than the same Chevy/Ford parts. I know - I ran a blown 455 for about 5 years in my racing jet.

As far as water pumps.... Jet's don't use one. There is a hose from the jet pump that goes to the engine - using the jet pump water pressure to supply water to the engine cooling system. If your motor has a water pump attached - simply remove it and get a plate to cover the housing (standard aftermarket boat part). Try Glen-L Marine for starters.....

Old 05-27-08, 12:06 PM
hi,
yes i haVE THAT PLATE FROM OLD MOTOR BUT WHEN I REMOVED THE PUMP ON NEW ONE THER IS A SHAFT COMMING OUT WHICH I ASSUME IS ATTACHED TO CAM HOW DO I REMOVE IT?
THANKS SORRY FOR CAPS BAD KEYBOARD!
)

Old 05-27-08, 01:51 PM
Now you have me baffled... Every old Olds that I played with had a belt driven water pump that simply unbolted and was removed. What year 455 do you have? Time to do some Google research to find out what you've got going on. It's been a few years since I ran an Olds..... are you sure that's not the end of the crankshaft that you're looking at? Can you upload a photo?