Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Re-securing T-top to deck

FL

06-22-08, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Re-securing T-top to deck

The T-top on my 20 foot Pro-liner is extremely loose. Two of the four screws in each of the front feet to secure to deck just pulled right out. We went 25 miles out in the Gulf last week and I had to tie down the top with the bow line from the top for fear of loosing it as we where running through 2/3 foot seas. What type of screw can i use that will "spread" below deck, as the hole has worn too large just to use a larger screw? Or any other process known. thanks

Sponsored Links

06-24-08, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Are you trying to screw into a wooden portion of the boat - or metal trimwork?

WA

06-24-08, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)  
fastening options

general options for worn out/ stripped out holes. If you have access to interior space i suggest using a 1/4 to 1/2 aluminum plate slightly larger than the mounting base. put it up to the mounting plate, mark holes and drill and tap for stainless screws of appropriate size. then with a helper to hold it in place ( below deck) re attach your mounting base. it will be stronger than new.

If u dont have access, u may try and find some toggle style fasteners. this will require a larger hole than is there, and you will need to make sure u have a rubber gasket to seal or use a marine approved caulk to seal to prevent damage to the interior of your boat.
hope this is helpfull
Luke

Search this Thread