Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

General tuneup todos for an outboard that's been in storage for a long time.

OH

07-01-08, 09:51 PM   #1  
General tuneup todos for an outboard that's been in storage for a long time.

I've bought a non-working 2cycle 9.5 hp 1973'ish vintage Johnson outboard from someone who had it in storage for 15+ years. I've already tracked the main problem down and have it running but I've been told in passing twice now that since it sat unused for so long I should really replace the impeller. I'm wondering if this is actually good advice or what. How can an impeller wear when it's not being used? Do they get brittle with age and break? The engine seems to spit out a nice stream of water so I'm weary of an unnecessary repair. Also when rehabbing an engine that has sat for so long what other maintenance do you suggest before taking it on for a spin? So far on my list is new points, condensers, plugs, clean the carb, and change the bottom end oil. Anything else? There are lots of grease fittings on it but nothing is sticking so I was going to leave them alone. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

07-02-08, 09:03 AM   #2  
That impeller is going to fail sooner or later.. they do get brittle with age. For now, keep an eye on your water discharge - if it gets weak - stop running it and replace that little puppy.

A little grease squirted into the fittings is cheap insurance... everything else sounds great! Congrats on your new acquisition.

OH

07-04-08, 07:47 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I checked the impeller anyways and its in fine shape. It doesn't stream water out the outlet like newer engines but sprays. The water comes out hot but never scolding so its enough to keep it cool. I'm not worried as I took it out for a test spin and it performed great. There still some little things to deal with but all in all I'm happy.

Search this Thread