jetski not just not quite right

Old 07-06-08, 06:59 PM
jetski not just not quite right

got my 97 Kawasaki 750 zxi out today, i've had it out once before this year. both times, it just seems like the acceleration is just not there. Top speed is just fine, but when i want to take off, or break the back end around, it just doesn't have it like it did last year. Heres what i'm thinking, last year, i primarily used ethanol blended gas in it, this year, straight unleaded. Do you think maybe that little bit of alcohol was giving it just enough of a boost?

I also changed the battery, it was a 16lbs battery, was supposed to be a 20lbs battery, so i've actually upgraded that, wouldn't think that would matter. Other than that, nothings changed.

Also, my bilge pump doesn't work, i'm taking on some water after about a 1/2 hour and it's just not going out, any ideas on this? The lines are clear, thats all i know.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 07:36 AM
Check the float in the bilge pump... probably some crap from last keeping it from turning on... assuming it has a float assembly...... If it's electronic - take the pump off the housing, which should be screwed to the bottom of the watercraft - and check for "stuff" wrapped around the impeller, keeping it from turning....

Old 07-07-08, 05:54 PM
my bilge as far as i can tell uses the jetski's impeller to suck water out, no float, nothing electronic about it. Which i should try to install an electric one, unless the hoses are primed, i don't think the way its setup right now will suck any water...but i don't know.

Old 07-07-08, 07:01 PM
I've only owned 4 jet pump powered boats/watercraft in my time... so I'm not an expert... I've never heard of a jet pump providing suction for the bilge...

Old 07-08-08, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by thezster View Post
I've only owned 4 jet pump powered boats/watercraft in my time... so I'm not an expert... I've never heard of a jet pump providing suction for the bilge...
It is actually quite common. My Sea Doo has the same set up. No actual bilge pump.

Old 07-08-08, 05:47 AM
And there you have it!! Been a lot of years since I ran jets... and, obviously things change.. You got my interest up, so I checked out the bilge system... if this link comes through - you will notice a filter on the bilge pump that is probably clogged.... or possibly the breather tube. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=64&B=1