Stains on the Hull

Old 07-14-08, 07:49 PM
Stains on the Hull

The bottom, Transom and areas on the side of the boat are becoming pretty stained (brown) from use in some pretty dirty water. (Missouri River) Is there a cleaning solution to restore the white? I took it through the car wash and used the pressure sprayer with hot soap and water and didnt do much for it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 09:49 PM
I Have used Starbright Hull cleaner in the past with very good results. It's not expensive and its easy to use. I get it in the Marine / sporting goods area in Wally World.

Craig.

Old 08-10-08, 03:27 AM
If the Starbright doesn't work, use an electric buffer with polishing compound. It's a lot of work, but well worth it. (Forget a buffer attachment on your power drill. It doesn't have the necessary torque.)

Old 08-12-08, 09:39 AM
Thanks, i'll look into the Starbright cleaner. I have taken a buffer on my drill on my old boat and it worked alright to get the scratches and oxidation off of the gelcoat. I dont know about the dingy water stain though. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks

Old 08-12-08, 10:35 AM
Hull cleaner

Have you thought about anti-fouling bottom paint. I use to have the same problems you are having with leaving my boat in the water for long periods of time. I finally had the bottom paint done and now no more scrubbing. It also comes in different colors, although the black works best.

Old 08-13-08, 06:41 AM
Would have to say the Star-Brite is your best bet. I have used it and it works well. Best thing is to keep up with the stains and not to allow it to get so bad next time.

Old 08-16-08, 10:09 AM
Get some muriatic acid and wipe the hull down then wash it, works great will not hurt the fiberglass. I have used it often and it is cheap you can find it at any hardware store.

Moderator's Note: See next post.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 08-17-08 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Add moderator's note
Old 08-17-08, 04:03 AM
Handle Muriatic Acid Properly!

I thought long & hard about editing the post above but decided instead to allow it to stand with this caveat:

Muriatic acid, a.k.a. hydrochloric acid, is used by many boaters to clean fiberglass hulls. It is VERY IMPORTANT to handle it properly.

It is a powerful acid that can cause burns to exposed skin, blindness if it gets in the eyes, respiratory problems if inhaled, and it will damage almost everything it touches. It will also discolor the concrete in your driveway. If you use a plastic brush, the bristles will melt together into a large semi-solid mass of plastic. It can also melt the carpet and/or rollers on the trailer.

NEVER mix it with other chemicals or cleaners -- especially chlorine bleach!

Please read the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Old 08-17-08, 07:43 AM
Rick thanks for putting up the MSD link I have used it many times in the past with no issues at all. You are right though it will, and is used to clean concrete as well. The boats I used it on came out of the river, and some white boats were so stained they looked like they were brown but after wiping them down, wash and waxing they were white as the day they were made. Like Rick said be careful if you use it.

Old 08-21-08, 11:58 AM
I bought and used the starbright and it worked very well. The boat looks brand new. I wish i would have known about it for my other boats. Thanks for your help guys.