Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

help needed for 55 hp 1977 Johnson outboard Motor

IA

07-15-08, 09:01 AM   #1  
help needed for 55 hp 1977 Johnson outboard Motor

We have just bought a used boat with a 1977 Johnson 55 hp outboard engine on it....it's a 2 cylinder
We have had to buy a new impeller for it but we can't get the lower part off to put the new part in.
I know that is not run on cable's
We undid the bolt to loosen it and it comes down about 1 1/2 inches and that is as far as we can get it.
Does anyone know how to do it or knows were I can go on the web to get a diagram??
We would be grateful for any help
Jan

Sponsored Links

07-23-08, 09:58 AM   #2  
Trim Tab Removal

You need to remove the trim tab first. Inside the cavity, you will find another bolt that needs to be removed. Once that is done, you should experience no problems separating the lower unit.
I have a diagram, however I cannot post an attachment for you to view it.

Try looking for a service manual in your local library or post your email address and I'll send it to you.

NY

07-24-08, 03:45 AM   #3  
FYI dstan: You can't post an attachment, but you can upload your diagram (as a jpeg picture) to a hosting site like Photobucket.com and post a link to it using this icon: . If it's small enough to fit in a post, you can also use the "Insert Image" option to make it appear in your post.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 07-24-08 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Search this Thread