Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Used canoe for $150 ?

VA

07-19-08, 06:06 AM   #1  
Used canoe for $150 ?

The classifieds near me have a 11 year old Old Town canoe for $150. It's an Allagash 15 foot canoe. I'm a canoe-noobie, just want a canoe to bang around with the kids.

$150 seems like a good price, from what I've been seeing in the classifieds, and from the picture it *looks* like it's in good shape. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

07-19-08, 08:52 AM   #2  
it will probably be sold by the time you read this and get around to calling

unless it has major problems thats CHEAP and around here would have been snapped up within hours

(while not in the market for a canoe , I would buy it for 150 and resell it )

VA

07-19-08, 09:39 AM   #3  
I think you may be right

I sent an email to the seller but haven't heard back yet- the ad is 3 days old. It was on Craig's List, and usually people de-list the ad when the item is sold. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, Mango Man, for your post!
Dave O

FL

07-19-08, 10:19 AM   #4  
Dave ,when I was in the market for a Canoe 10 years or so ago I was chasing down everything in th 150 or so range and that was always my experience sold as soon as I called , I finally found a 17'sears aluminum one for 125 at a garage sale but as I said that was at least 10 years ago

Craig's list can be strange , I just got a great deal on something
that had been on a couple of weeks in a nearby city I printed the ad and had it in the truck and when I was in town I gave the guy a call and sure enough he still had it . I was pleasantly surprised

I hope you get it canoes are great , especially with kids and old town is the "holy grail " of 'canoes in my opinion
(Ive wanted a old town since I was a kid , but never found a deal and am to cheap to pay what their worth )

post back how it goes

VA

07-21-08, 04:23 AM   #5  
Never heard back

The canoe must have sold, because I never heard back from the guy. Then Saturday afternoon I saw a post from Saturday morning: aluminum canoe plus paddles, $50. That one sold quickly, I'm sure, and at least I got an email back from that guy.

I'll keep looking!

FL

07-21-08, 05:18 AM   #6  
sorry you missed it ,you have to be quick to buy cheap

you could try posting a wanted ad on craigs list or free cycle

"canoe wanted CHEAP want to take my kids out etc etc "
I see ads like this from time to time and the price is right

one other thing you can do is search eBay for canoes for sale within 50-75 miles(or however far your willing to drive for pick up ) of you

good luck , I hope you find one I chased "cheap" canoes for a couple of years before I found mine

Search this Thread