Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Merc Powertrim problem

07-20-08, 06:53 PM   #1  
Merc Powertrim problem

I trimmed my 175 OB motor up all the way, and now it is stuck there. wont move one way or the other. Trim motor still runs in up or down mode, but nothing moves.
Its a triple ram merc trim, no oil looks to have leaked out into the water so I dont think it popped a leak. - Is there some simple trick to this I am missing?

Sponsored Links

MN

07-27-08, 08:55 PM   #2  
First double check the lever didn't get fliped up on the side of the transome bracket limiting the movement of the motor. But it sounds like the coupler between the pump motor and the pump itself is sheared. If the motor is running in both directions and the ram doesn't move at all I would take the motor off the pump and inspect this first.

SD

07-28-08, 08:01 AM   #3  
When i am triming my motor up and down, there is a clicking/popping sound for the first few minutes of boating. It seems to go away after i have been running for awhile. What would this be and is it something to be concerned about?

MN

07-28-08, 07:07 PM   #4  
The clicking niose is the trim relay. There is one for up and one for down. If it clicks and doesnt move there is corrosion building up on the inside. this can burn off after a couple tries but this means they are going bad and should be replaced. The relays are fairly cheap under 50$. If you look at the wires there is a red and black to bolth of them and a green for the down and a blue for the up relay.

Search this Thread