84 70HP Evinrude

Old 07-21-08, 05:24 AM
Unhappy 84 70HP Evinrude

Starts, runs, stalls after somew period of continuous running. If it doesn't stall, and I decide to shut it down to swim or fish, it will not re-start. If it rests for a long time... weekend to weekend, it will start. Some say it gets flooded. Yesterday, I had to get a towed (2nd time this season) because it would not start. Battery is brand new (last Saturady purchase). Brand new fuel filter. New problem! When I got the boat in my driveway, I noticed oil leaking from propellar shaft. Will bad seals create all of these symptoms? Bad plugs? Depressed and not having a good summer!

Joehack1355

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-08, 09:02 PM
I would start by checking for spark when it quits. If you have good spark (use known good plug grounded) then check for good fuel flow to the carburetor. If that's OK think about putting a carb kit in it.

If no spark, then plugs, coil or power pack would be my first choices.

The oil leak from the prop wouldn't affect the running of the engine.

Old 07-24-08, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a 15 horse that does the exact same thing, I believe it is in the coils under the flywheel because I put a new module in and still never know if it will start, and it is all about the sparkcause there is none at these times, I also noticed that there is alot of slop in the bushing of the stator plate, and the coils rub on the flywheel a bit, I really think this is the culprit, the stator has to rotate with the throttle for ignition advance and the constant movement has worn out those bushings causing the coils to contact the flywheel. keep us posted.