Can a pitot type speedometer be used on a car?

Old 07-26-08, 12:04 PM

I know boats and aircraft use pitot speedometers. Can this used on a car?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-08, 01:55 PM

Why do you want to step back? Is your speedometer not working.

A pitot tube measues the air speed. It is affected by many things including head and tail winds, location and effects from the shape of the car. It can be off by 10-20 miles per hour.

In a boat, it is not affected by the wind, current is not a big thing, so it just has to be located properly.

If your car speedometer only goes to 120 it might be a solution if you get the appropriate one installed properly.

Dick

Old 07-26-08, 06:16 PM
Dick, thanks for your input. I was inquiring about the pitot speedometer because my 85 mph speedometer is not working any more. It would be expensive for the part and labor. They don't even carry the part anymore for my make/model, so I would have to buy an after market one. I thought the pitot thing might be cheaper and easier for me to install,

Old 07-27-08, 01:42 AM
If your car have working tachometer you should able dail in the speed what ya are going on that one.

Normally the polit speedometer is not super acture they will have some error on it so if you read at 50 MPH for example you may going between 40 to 60 MPH somewhere.

You should check the salvage yard I am pretty sure they will have a speedometer on hand for your type of car.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-27-08, 04:24 AM
Do you have a GPS? All of them have ground speed indication and they're more accurate than any speedo.

Old 07-27-08, 08:30 AM
thanks for the latest responses to my inquiry

In answer to Rick and Marc's questions.

No the tachometer does not work either. This is a 92' Ford Ranger. I thought about getting a GPS with miles per hour readout. I have tried salvage yards several times. But the parts for my make/model are already picked over. But I was concerned that the speed display on the GPS screen might be too small and difficult to read. Is this not the case?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-27-08, 10:57 AM
I use my GPS for my speedo
My speedo is not reading right.
I still miss the real speedo because at a quick glance you can tell where that great big dial is and how fast I am going
With my GPS I have to direct my eyes and attention to the small number on it.
Later I will get the real spedo fixed
As said, a pitot will have error

Old 07-27-08, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but you're sure it's the speedo itself and not, for instance, the vehicle speed sensor?

Old 07-27-08, 01:44 PM
I replaced the speed sensor. I also disconnected the speedometer cable behind the instrument cluster and lubricated it. The trip odometer is still working.

I could install an combination speedometer/tach from Auto Meter.
I already installed Auto meter triple gauge panel where the ashtray used to be. So I am not sure where I would install a new speedometer.

Search this Thread