Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shifting problem bayliner omc 3.0 cobra drive

07-29-08, 06:29 PM   #1  
Shifting problem bayliner omc 3.0 cobra drive

Trouble shifting 1988 bayliner OMC 3.0 COBRA shifts HARD WHEN GOING FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE AND FROM NEUTRAL INTO FORWARD OR REVERSE. GOES IN GOOD IF I MOMENTARY SHUT OF IGNITION AND TURN BACK ON AND MOTOR STAYS RUNNING!WONDER IF THE ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE IS BAD AND HOW CAN IT BE TESTED.

Sponsored Links

MN

07-29-08, 07:56 PM   #2  
I might be wrong but I don't think that has a shift modual like the mercruser. I thought all omc-cobra drives were a cone clutch system. One way to tell is fallow the shift cable, if it comes into the engine compartment from the controll box and goes directly out the transome to the drive it doesn't have one. The mercruiser shift cable goes from the controll box to a junction this is wear the shift modual is and another cable that goes to the drive. If it doesn't have a shift modual take the plastic cover off the rear of the drive the 3 3/8 bolts then check fluid level at the round bolt with the flathead cap. Then unhook the cable end and see how easy the cable shifts.

NY

07-30-08, 01:39 AM   #3  
Do you have a lot of stuff stored in the side compartment? It doesn't take much to stress the cable and prevent it from having free movement. A fender jammed in there against the control will do it. That happened to my old Four Winns.

Search this Thread