2002 Honda Marine 115hp engine won't start

Old 08-03-08, 07:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2002 Honda Marine 115hp engine won't start

My Honda 115hp four stroke on my pontoon ran great until yesterday. It had not be cranked in about 3 or 4 weeks. It hit a few times at first try and only turns over now. I drained the seperator but it still doesn't crank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-08, 04:31 PM
S
I would check the lanyard is on and you have spark first. Check for spark by removing a spark plug and resting it on the engine block away from the spark plug hole. then have someone turn the engine over, you should see a spark at the plug. I would think this isn't the problem but it should be checked first. Also you should here the fuel pump run when the key is turned on for about 10 seconds. If spark is present and the fuel pump runs I would bet the fuel injecters are dirty. To find out you can have someone try to start the motor as someone else sprays carb cleaner into the airbox. I don't like starting fluid as it is too flamable. If it fires you have dirty injecters they can be cleaned by a company in florda called Flagshipmarine. They are on the net to find their charges and other info. To remove the injecters just reliece the fuel pressure from the rail by pressing the shrader valve on the rail and then removint the rail and pulling the injecter out make sure to save the o'rings from the top and bottom.

Old 08-04-08, 05:56 PM
S
Thanks, I did check the lanyard and it is in place. The engine will act as if its about to start on the first turn of the ingnition key. However, it immediately dies and then won't hit again until the engine sets for several hours. A Honda tech. is scheduled to be at a local marina tomorrow. I plan to ask him about the engine.

Old 08-04-08, 07:43 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Please post back with his recommendations.

Old 08-07-08, 07:41 PM
S
Problem solved and I feel very lucky. A dirtdobber built a nest iside the cover on the motor timing belt. When I cranked the engine the mudd on the belt caused it to jump timing by one notch on the belt. The Honda tech said I was lucky. They were rebuilding the power head on another 115 just like mine that jumped timing but much worse from the same problem. It had 6 bent valve stems and two scarred pistions. I've been offered two soultions to the problem: 1. The Honda tech suggest putting some mothballs inside the cover. 2. Another tech suggested sparying the motor with CRC. I have not decided which I will do yet. I think if I can fit some screen wire in the vents that that might sove the problem. Just know if you own a Honda four stroke, dirtdobber access to the timing belt is possible and it can happen to you also.

Old 08-07-08, 08:14 PM
S
Wow you did get lucky. That is a new one but I can see that hapening. Thanks for the update. Now get out and enjoy the water!

Old 08-08-08, 04:16 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the update! Learn something new everyday ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: