Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine fail

08-10-08, 08:05 AM   #1  
engine fail

I have a twin engine searay Mercruiser and the port engine cuts out after running for a while. The next day it will turn on. and run ok. this then will happen again. Is there something i can look at.

Sponsored Links

MN

08-10-08, 12:19 PM   #2  
I would check to see if you're loosing spark. Once the engine fails remove a spark plug and test for spark. Is the engine fuel injected? what year is it?

NY

08-10-08, 03:04 PM   #3  
Losing spark is a common cause, but you didn't give us much info. In addition to samauri's questions ...

In addition to the model year, horsepower and engine size will help, too.

Under what conditions is it cutting out? Just on plane? Full throttle? Idling at the dock? Mid-range?

Is it overheating?

08-12-08, 02:30 PM   #4  
It is a 1996 Searay with twin Mercruiser 427 engine. I tried to start it then but it did not seem to get any gas. I was running at about 2000 RPM when it cut out. I could not start it right away but was able to start it with no problem the next day. I ran it for a couple of hours without a problem. Could it have been a 1 time problem?

NY

08-13-08, 04:18 AM   #5  
Was it hot? Vapor lock in the fuel line is a common cause.

08-13-08, 07:27 AM   #6  
Have you checked your fuel filters? or fuel lines for trash. You may be sucking trash in to the filter and cloging it. Over night the trash may move away from the filter and allow fuel to flow. Same could happen to your fuel pick up in the fuel tank. If you can install another GOOD CLEAN source of fuel for the engine and operate it. This could show you were your problem is.

08-13-08, 04:00 PM   #7  
Fuel Pump?

I am not that familiar with twin engine boats but very familiar with this type of problems in an automobile. I would imagine that each engine has it's own fuel pump? If so, I would look at the fuel pump along with filters. Electric or mechanical fuel pumps? If electrical, points or solid state operation?
My guess is the pump or at best just the filter...

Search this Thread