Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rubber bellows replacement

08-11-08, 01:08 PM   #1  
Rubber bellows replacement

I have a 1987 Wellcraft Nova with the 260 Mercruiser and the rubber bellows that covers a cable from the stern to the outdrive is split. How hard of a job is this to replace and how is it done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

08-11-08, 10:28 PM   #2  
The cable is the shifter. The boot's not difficult to replace. After you disconnect the shift cable from the stern drive, the boot slides off (or cut it off, being careful not to damage the cable).

The new boot won't go on easy unless you lather it up real good with dishwashing detergent. Seriously -- it's the best lubricant for the job. It won't damage the components and it will dissolve away when you're done.

While you're there, take a good look at the other bellows to see if it's ready to go away.

08-12-08, 06:22 AM   #3  
Shifter Bellows

Thanks Rick, I'll get this done this weekend...

08-12-08, 06:01 PM   #4  
Shifter cable bellows

I just looked at it and the clamp closest to the stern looks really hard to get to. Is there a trick to get to it?

NY

08-13-08, 04:28 AM   #5  
I recall that it was a pain, but doable. A small socket and ratchet works better than trying to get a screwdriver in there. I can't remember if I pulled the drive off for easier acess.

Search this Thread