troubled

Old 08-24-08, 07:44 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy troubled

I just purchased a, what seemed to be a boat that was in very good condition...seemed...anyway its a 1974 mercruiser inline 6, and 165hp... I can't seem to get it to go into gear... It seems like the cable that goes into the transmission is jamed or locked up some how. The guy I got it from said that there was something wrong with the controls and that is true. there seems to be stipped gears but why did they strip...cause someone put to much preasure on them to get the boat to go into gear...what are my options and how can i get a exploded view of the leg?? any help ??

Old 08-25-08, 04:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The shift cable that runs from the control is attached to an arm on the engine. The other cable attached to that arm goes to the lower unit. If either is kinked it will be difficult to shift. Pull the cable that goes to the control off the arm and see if it is jammed. If the control cable is working, pull the other cable and make sure the arm is free. The next step is to pull the drive and see if the cable is jammed. If it isn't, try to shift it manually with the shift shaft on the drive. If it shifts, the shift shaft wasn't in the right spot when the drive was installed. If it doesn't, something's wrong with the transmission.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: