Canoe needs Sail mounted where?

Old 08-30-08, 10:02 AM
Wink Canoe needs Sail mounted where?

I have an Old Canadian Canoe that is 12' 6" long .It has a flat 12" stern. I want to put my sunfish sail (yardsail purchase) on my canoe. Anyone know where to place a bracket, they call it a Mast Thwart. (I can make it) to mount the sail? I have all the hardware, including a rudder & removeable keel which I will use on the side as a Leeboard to stop sideways drifting. I have some info but it is unclear. Any sailors out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-08, 03:49 PM
For some reason mounting a sail on a canoe sounds like a bad idea. I think sail boats are wide for a reason the canoe would be too tippy. It might work I guess I would try to mount temporary clamps and take it out and try it. Just be prepaired to tip over in the trial WEAR a life jacket. good luck

Old 08-30-08, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
A lateen rig is a bit much for a canoe but have fun trying. Do you know where the center of effort is for your sail? You need to do a little thinking about where the sail makes it's "push" and the keel and rudder position. Place the sails center too far forward and it will try to head off the wind. Place it too far aft and it will try heading into the wind.

Also keep in mind that a keel does more than keep the boat from being pushed sideways. As the wind pushes against the sail 10 ft up in the air that is a lot of force trying to tip the boat over. A heay keel or a broad beam give a boat stability to resist being blown over. Canoes tend to have a rounded shape which is not great for stability.

Have you thought about adding outriggers?

Old 09-03-08, 03:06 PM
Canoe Sailing

Originally Posted by samuari View Post
For some reason mounting a sail on a canoe sounds like a bad idea. I think sail boats are wide for a reason the canoe would be too tippy. It might work I guess I would try to mount temporary clamps and take it out and try it. Just be prepaired to tip over in the trial WEAR a life jacket. good luck
I have built a mast thwart under the seat in the bow, it has three holes drilled, so I can adjust it. I have partly drilled an exact fitting hole in a board (mast step) below it to accomodate the mast and keep it secure. It is very tight. I have also temporarily clamped a keel board from a Sunfish to thestarboard side. This is called a leeboard thwart (Nautical terms I suppose). I got a nice explanation from Marilyn Vogel, of the National Sailing Committee, American Canoe Association.
The Leeboard (my old keel from Sunfish) is now my Leeboard. I have also temporarily clamped the Rudder setup to the flat stern of my Canoe. I am ready for a trial run. Wish me luck. I see people sailing canoes in an old article from Canoe & Kyack, August 1999 page 16. If they can do it, why not try? Thanks for your help. Triumphman.

Old 09-03-08, 05:51 PM
I didn't want to come off sounding like a jerk with that comment. It sounds like you have done your homework on the project. I have never heard of doing it, so post a picture if possible when you're done. I would like to see it, good luck.

Old 09-05-08, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure you let us know how it works. I am dying to know. Best of luck.

Old 09-05-08, 05:19 PM
Old 09-07-08, 01:56 PM
Well, I got out on the Lake! Put on the rudder. Clamped on the Leeboard. Put the mast on the first hole of the Mast Step, and raised the sail. I started to head into the wind and the bow started splashing water. I could'nt believe I was sailing a conoe. Into the wind no less. It was very exciting until the wind died. Then the current started pushing me sideways into the rocky shore. I got out the trusty paddle. But what a job padddling with one small plastic emergency paddle. I barely made any progress. Finally out into the open part of the lake. I reset the sail and caught the wind again. Wow, it was great for a few minutes. I then tried to manuver the sail and cut across the lake. Bad idea. My rudder wasn't deep enough and I was out of control. Pushed to shore again. This time I could'nt get the canoe back into the open water and the rocks were banging against my starboard side. So I jumped ashore and pulled the whole thing onto the rocks to avoid any possible damage. Just then I felt a loss of footing. The next thing I knew I was up to my chest in nice warm water. Phone, camera, wallet,everything was wet. The signs said no swimming. Oops. I had enough for the day. I have some major work to do. Permantly attaching the Rudder, making an ajustable Leebaord and bracket.etc.. maybe even finding plans for a pop-up rudder bracket, so I won't lose my rudder on the shallow rocks. Much to do. But I had fun and plenty of fresh air, sun and exercize. Thats what its all about! People were stopping to watch me from the shore and some even waved. I guess there aren't many crazies sailing canoes out here these days. Until next time, I can't wait! Triumphman

Old 09-07-08, 02:08 PM
sounds fun , do you have any sailing experience or is the whole thing learn as you go ?

Old 09-07-08, 02:20 PM
Smile How to revive dead Cell Phones & Digital Cameras after falling in lake!

I have just fallen into the lake with my cell phone and over $300. Digital Camera in my pockets. After drying off somewhat, I tried the phone, nothing. Next the camera , same thing, not working. I am going to hear it from my wife. I can imagine the words! Idiot, dummy, fool of a Took (Lord of the Rings quote)! So when I got home I started to dis-assemble the gear. First drying the batteries, contacts and memory cards. Then, I got an idea, a hair dryer on low heat but good air. OK. The cell phone started to flicker, but would not accept the charger. I could'nt give up. Next, the camera, very costly, so here I go. Took out battery, memory card, and started the hair dryer.Thirty minutes, OK, put it all back together. Nothing! Then another idea! A small heating pad would slowly dry out the gear. On low, overnight. Next morning, all worked. Saved! I saved my bacon from the Mrs.
Next time I go near water everything goes into those special ziplock camping bags. AAAMEN. As ever, Triumphman

Old 09-07-08, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up

I'm glad everything is working out for you. Good thing your elecrtonics are up and running. I was out at the lake on friday with a customer and I went to hook the winch strap to the bow I andm I heard that awful noise of something falling in the water. Yep it was my phone I was able to get it out quick but I had to jump in with work boots on and all. I put it in a ziplock bag with white rice in it the next day all was good. Man do I hate the feeling when things go bad. Anyway keep going with the project it sounds like you're making good progress.

Old 09-07-08, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Good advice...for the wet phone. Remove battery and mem card (those are pretty sealed), just let them air dry on a paper towel. Put the phone in a bowl of white processed rice. Actually I saw to leave the bowl open so evaporation can happen, guess that would depend on the location.

Camera? Dunno, guess the same thing would work.

Plenty of zipper bags is a better idea, or live in the desert.

Old 09-08-08, 04:09 AM
For the record, the worst thing you can do for electronic devices that get wet is try to operate them before they dry out. Unfortunately, most people can't wait to see if it still works!

Most electronics and some other items such as shoes are packaged with small packets of desiccants -- usually silica gel. Save those packets in a drawer somewhere. They are far better than rice at absorbing moisture and they don't leave behind any residue. The residue from rice is actually starch. If it gets damp it turns into glue!

Silica gel bags can be "recharged" by warming them in a 200-degree oven for an hour. Place them in a covered pan.