Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kawasaki sx 650 oil gusher

09-02-08, 10:06 AM   #1  
Kawasaki sx 650 oil gusher

I have an 89 SX 650 , I replaced the rings and it runs fine ( on the trailer ) but it gushes oil ( about a shot glass for 30 sec run time ) out of the exhaust port , I don't wanna put it in a lake with this oil discharge

Last edited by stthomas; 09-02-08 at 10:08 AM. Reason: changed 3 to 30

Sponsored Links

MN

09-02-08, 04:46 PM   #2  
It sounds like your oil pump is full open. Check to see that the line on the pump body and on the pump arm are alligned at idle. Is it just oil or a gas oil mix check your spark plugs to see if one is darker than the other. I would be surprised if it is running on both cyl. like this.

09-08-08, 05:09 AM   #3  
Posted By: samuari It sounds like your oil pump is full open. Check to see that the line on the pump body and on the pump arm are alligned at idle. Is it just oil or a gas oil mix check your spark plugs to see if one is darker than the other. I would be surprised if it is running on both cyl. like this.
I'm clueless to your distcription . It's running on both cylinders , both plugs look the same .150/150 compression in the cyl . and it runs fine , it's when you shut it off there is oil dischare from the exhaust . The oil pump is as big as a golf ball , one oil line in , one oil line out . I don't see a pump arm , or any line on the pump body . I'm think of just mixing the gas and oil , and call it a day . is there anything special I have to do to the pump to disconnect ?

MN

09-08-08, 04:55 PM   #4  
You can renove the oil injection pump ocean pro sells a block off plate to mount wear the pump is now. It might actually be a good idea to run premix as the early 650's had a small oil drive pin that is known to shear. I'm not sure ov the year though. As far as my last post I was thinking there was a arm ao the pump that was cable operated to open the pump with the throttle cable.

NY

09-08-08, 05:02 PM   #5  
Are you sure it's raw oil and not a carbon discharge? Carbon floats and looks like an oil slick except for the color. Oil has a bluish tint, while carbon is mostly black.

I commend you for caring about protecting our waterways. Many boaters wouldn't give it a second thought.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it would seem to just use a premix and stop putting oil in the reservoir. The oil pump itself is lubricated by the oil that flows through the lines.

You could pinch off the two lines and leave some oil in the pump, but you'd be treating the symptom instead of the cause and opening yourself up to more failures in the future. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 09-10-08 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed nonsense line from my post.

09-10-08, 04:23 AM   #6  
Posted By: Rick Johnston Are you sure it's raw oil and not a carbon discharge? Carbon floats and looks like an oil slick except for the color. Oil has a bluish tint, while carbon is mostly black.

I commend you for caring about protecting our waterways. Many boaters wouldn't give it a second thought.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it would seem to just use a premix and stop putting oil in the reservoir. The oil pump itself is lubricated by the oil that flows through the lines.

You could pinch off the two lines and leave some oil in the pump, but you'd be treating the symptom instead of the cause and opening yourself up to more failures in the future. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Yes it is just as you discribed , I'm running a red two stroke oil , but the oil that comes from the exhaust port is black , don't know if it float , again I'm not putting it in the water until the leakage issue is resolved , presently I have an oil drain pan under the ski to catch the discharge . Any idea's for the carbon discharge ? , again the ski seems to run great on the trailer

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 09-10-08 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed nonsense line from my quoted post.

NY

09-10-08, 01:41 PM   #7  
Carbon is usually the result of too rich a fuel mixture, but it could also be due to the wrong spark plugs or a failing ignition. When floating on the water it looks and acts more like a black or dark-gray ash powder than a liquid.

Dip your finger in it. If it's more like a powder that moves around on your finger, it's carbon. If it's wet and smears into your fingers, it's probably oil.

If it's carbon, your spark plugs should also have a dry black or dark gray buildup. They will eventually foul because carbon is conductive. The buildup will cause the spark to follow the carbon rather than the gap.

If it's oil and dumping as much as you've said, the plugs should be wet with it. The red oil would be black with a dark bluish tint after it's heated.

The thing that has me confused is, usually carbon appears at an exhaust on cold startup, not at shutdown, as the dry powder is blown out. Raw oil should never appear at an exhaust on a 2-cycle unless, as Samauri said, the oil pump is being held open after the fuel and ignition are shut off.

09-11-08, 06:17 AM   #8  
Posted By: Rick Johnston Carbon is usually the result of too rich a fuel mixture, but it could also be due to the wrong spark plugs or a failing ignition. When floating on the water it looks and acts more like a black or dark-gray ash powder than a liquid.

Dip your finger in it. If it's more like a powder that moves around on your finger, it's carbon. If it's wet and smears into your fingers, it's probably oil.

If it's carbon, your spark plugs should also have a dry black or dark gray buildup. They will eventually foul because carbon is conductive. The buildup will cause the spark to follow the carbon rather than the gap.

If it's oil and dumping as much as you've said, the plugs should be wet with it. The red oil would be black with a dark bluish tint after it's heated.

The thing that has me confused is, usually carbon appears at an exhaust on cold startup, not at shutdown, as the dry powder is blown out. Raw oil should never appear at an exhaust on a 2-cycle unless, as Samauri said, the oil pump is being held open after the fuel and ignition are shut off.
Per your discription ....... It's not Carbon , plugs are wet and oily , and the discharge is definetly of an oily nature . From what you gentleman are telling me , and you both concure , the oil pump is held open , now for my next question ...... what's the fix ? Is this pump worn out / defective , and replacement my solution , or is mixing the gas my best long term solution ?

MN

09-11-08, 04:22 PM   #9  
I had a 750 that I did a bunch of performance stuff on a couple years ago and I took mine off and added a delete plate and ran premix. It was more of a way to know that I didn't need to worry about the pump going lean. What I dodn't understand is why the pump would go bad at the same time as the top end being done.

09-22-08, 06:48 AM   #10  
Fixed

I removed the oil pump , put on a block off plate , and mix the gas .... problem solved , thanks for all of your help...

Beer 4U2

NY

09-22-08, 06:59 AM   #11  
Thanks for posting back and letting us know!

TX

10-12-08, 06:26 AM   #12  
Removing the oil pump and using the block off plate, then premixing the gas and oil, is the best thing you could ever do to an automatic oil injection ski!!! Those oil pump have been the cause of many a seizure, since they came out.
With premix, you know you have the proper fuel oil ratio at all times, for peace of mind. Less fouled spark plugs is a plus.
I always recommend removing the oil injection and going premix to everyone. It is a pain for those that like to cruise and just pull up to the gas dock, but a major engine rebuild from lack of oil gets expensive.

Search this Thread