2003 4.3LH Mercruiser Alpha - ICM switch

Old 09-04-08, 07:13 AM
2003 4.3LH Mercruiser Alpha - ICM switch

I have a 2003 Stringray with a 4.43LH Gen+ with Thunderbolt V ignition. Boat was next to a tree that was struck by lightening. It fried the ICM (split it open). I had the rest of the boat checked out, no major damage other than to the radio and fuses.

Mechanic says we can pull the distributor and put older style chevy distributor and do away with the ICM. All we needed to do was get 12 volts to the distributor. Got that changed out, new distributor with vacuum advance. Cranks fine, idles fine, revs fine out of the water, but as you throttle up it starts to bog down, never gets to full power.

Question: Is this conversion going to work, and if so, what did we miss? Thx in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 06:21 PM
It sounds like timing is off or not advancing, I would take it back to the shop that did the work and have them double check their work. I work for a merc dealer and I myself wouldn't have wen't back to the old mag setup, but thats just because I personally think the hei is a better way to go. Then again this is only my opinion and not a fact.

Old 03-11-09, 12:01 PM
Difference between Alpha and Bravo ICM Modules

Other than the price, what's the difference in putting 861252T 1 in vs. 861251T 1?

Old 03-11-09, 07:59 PM
What engine was the bravo icm off of? I haven't came across a 4.3 with a bravo outdrive.