merc 3.0 hard start

Old 09-24-08, 06:57 PM
merc 3.0 hard start

1996 bayliner 3.0. It starts hard
Cold I sometimes have to give it some throttle to get it started but once it starts it runs ok. When its warm it will re-start right after it;s shut off, but if i leave it alone for a while ,same problem crank no start till i bump the throttle a little by hand. I took off the air cleaner and sometimes there is a constant drip of fuel going down the carb. I an auto tech but not used to boats. Is this normal? Can I adjust the idle up to solve this problem? How do these chokes work? I think it getting either to much fuel or not enough. It idles nice, doesn;t seem to be running rich

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 09:08 PM
If there is fuel dripping after you shut the engine off your neadle and seat are leaking and the carb must be rebuilt. The choke is a electric choke that opens once the choke itself worms up. It has a heating eliment in it that is powered by the purple "key on" wire. When you open the throttle are you opening it far enough to pump the acc. pump? That would indicate a lean condition. Anyway if you need to adjust the carb you are just making up for a problem as it ran good the way it's set for 10 years.

Old 09-25-08, 04:36 AM
The Mercury (or Quicksilver) carb rebuild kit comes with a new needle, seat, filter, accellerator pump, gaskets, spring clips, and complete instructions. It does not come with a float.

You may not have to pull the entire carb off the manifold. I had a similar issue on my 350 and only had to pull of the top of the carb to get to the needle and pump.

While you're there, inspect everything for any signs of dirt in the chamber. Any little piece of gunk or varnish in there can clog the jets. If you see any, pull the bottom of the carb off the manifold and soak the whole thing in a bucket of carb cleaner. (This isn't the cause of your problem, but it could lead to problems later on. Might as well do a little preventative maintenance while you've got it ripped apart.)

Old 09-25-08, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the help I/ll check for the carb for leaking nedle and seat . i just bought this boat and it is not the orginal motor. I just had the fuel pump replaced. (also transom boots,shift cable,tune up,starter,fuel lines,). So i was hoping i would be able to keep it in the water a while. But it'l get there soon enough.