Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help needed with changing an water pump on merc 60hp 2 stroke

10-02-08, 11:58 AM   #1  
Help needed with changing an water pump on merc 60hp 2 stroke

Can you help, I am trying to change the water pump on my mercury 60hp 2 stroke (late 1980's).
I have taken the 3 bolts off and the anode off off the lower part but it will not come apart i have used a rubber malet on it no movement, so i used wedge's and have moved it about
20mm but dont want to crack the case.
What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links

MN

10-02-08, 03:59 PM   #2  
I can't remember how the shift shaft is held in but I think it's splined and wouldn't hold it up. One thing to check is with it down shift the motor itno and out of gear and make sure it's not still connected to the shaft.
Was it hard to move the whole way or did it come off easy then stop?
I have had some that have taken extreme measures to get off that have corroded in the powerhead splines. What I have done in those cases is to put a wedge on one side of the case and taken a pry bar to the other side.

Good luck

10-02-08, 05:25 PM   #3  
merc 60

it was a fight all the way, I used the nuts either side, I packed above them and released the nuts to push off the casing above its only stopped because I've run out of stud.
Dont want to crack anything, just hope it needed changing.
will post how I got on

MN

10-02-08, 06:48 PM   #4  
If it is that hard to get off it must have been on there a long time so if the impeller even looks good it needs to be changed. Once you get it off make sure you clean the splines real good and put some good marine spline grease on the splines but not on the top of the shaft, it can cause a load on the shaft.

10-03-08, 11:13 AM   #5  
merc 60

Thank you for the advise I got the pump out and its shredded, thanks again

Search this Thread