outboard boat motor

Old 10-09-08, 03:13 PM
outboard boat motor

i would like to find out if u can fit an 80hp outboard motor to a 4.2 metre stacer runabout

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-08, 04:51 PM
That sounds like it might be legally overpowered. Does it have a horsepower tag? Another thing to consider is when you slow down with a big motor on the back of a little boat the bow goes up and a big wave comes over the back and can swamp the boat.

One of my boats is overpowered and I have to be carefull as to when I take it out. It can't be windy and I can't take it to lakes with a lot of traffic as the back of the boat is 6" above the water line. I also can't slow down verry fast or I get wet. I do have 2 1500 gallon bilge pumps in it to get the watter out fast and I added a lot of flotation just in case.

Old 10-10-08, 04:08 AM
According to Stacer's website, the max horsepower of the 4.2 is 40. The max recommended weight of the outboard is 110kg, which is well under the weight of a Mariner 80.

In addition to samuari's caveats, overpowering a boat (especially an aluminum boat) by 2x can literally rip it apart from the stresses to the transom & hull.

Old 10-10-08, 04:41 PM
I should have looked at what type of boat that is. I would NOT do it. 2x over power on any boat let alone a aluminum boat is a bad Idea. This is in no way a performance boat.