130 hp Honda ?

Old 10-15-08, 03:13 PM
130 hp Honda ?

Can anyone tell me if it's possible for me(diy) to adjust the idle rpm on a 130 hp EFI Honda outboard? I looked all over this thing the other day and couldn't figure it out. Its at 1000 rpms and should be around 700. Thanks hds

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-08, 05:35 PM
I can't remember exactly where the idle speed adjustment screw is but what you can do is fallow the linkage once it comes into the engine. The screw is close to the linkage.

I'm assuming you are talking about in the water idle speed, if running out of the water 1000 sounds about right.

Good luck

Old 10-15-08, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by samuari View Post
I can't remember exactly where the idle speed adjustment screw is but what you can do is fallow the linkage once it comes into the engine. The screw is close to the linkage.

I'm assuming you are talking about in the water idle speed, if running out of the water 1000 sounds about right.

Good luck
Actually the rpm is the same in or out of the water. I chased things around on the engine for quite a while and couldn't find any kind of screw type adjustment. The cables themselves have some adjustment where they hook up to the linkage on the motor but changing that in minor amounts didn't affect the rpm's. I know that the ELCM controls mixture changes for different altitudes , there has to be some kind of idle adjustment somewhere. I didn't spend anytime looking at the control levers on the console, maybe there is something there. I simply couldn't find anything on the engine cables or linkage that changed the rpm any. hds The owners manual says that the idle rpm should be 650-750 rpms, it just doesn't tell you how to set it.

Old 10-15-08, 06:47 PM
I will look and see if we have any honda manuals at work tomarrow. There might be one in the lot, the last place I was at was a honda dealer but not here.

Old 10-15-08, 06:49 PM
I will look and see if we have any honda manuals at work tomarrow. There might be one in the lot, the last place I was at was a honda dealer but not here.
Appreciate it, thanks . hds

Old 10-16-08, 05:03 PM
No luck we don't have any manuals and none in the lot. I know we had one last weak but it got picked up.

What you can do is have someone operate the throttle from the control box and watch the linkage at the motor "with it off". you should see what is stoping it from closing the throttle plates all the way. There is a adjustment screw somewhere.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-08, 04:39 PM
No luck we don't have any manuals and none in the lot. I know we had one last weak but it got picked up.

What you can do is have someone operate the throttle from the control box and watch the linkage at the motor "with it off". you should see what is stoping it from closing the throttle plates all the way. There is a adjustment screw somewhere.

Good luck!
It's Electronic Fuel Injection if that makes any difference. I think I could figure it out if it had carbs. I did the looking while the throttle lever was moved and still couldn't find any adjustments. hds

Old 10-17-08, 04:58 PM
efi motors still have a idle speed adjustment. I will keep my eyes open at work.

Search this Thread