Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'91 Force 150-no spark-0 DVA reading at switchbox

10-27-08, 09:41 AM   #1  
'91 Force 150-no spark-0 DVA reading at switchbox

How this started: Wouldn't crank...no spark. My battery was very old, so I replaced the battery (knowing I needed to anyway) and it cranked great. Couple weeks later, I have no spark again, so I ran troubleshooting in the manual. I got to the Switchbox and got 0 reading on the DVA. I am concerned that a 0 reading might mean something else like bad ground etc. Also, concerned that the meter might be defective. Should I get some sort of reading? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links

MN

10-27-08, 05:04 PM   #2  
I'm not familiar with the force test procedures but a simple test of the stator is if there is 2 sets of wires that are the same color I think 2 whit and 2 yellow should have continuity between them but not to ground.

From what I have learned it it more likely a swithch box.

When you are getting a 0 reading is it indicating a open in the circuit or 0 volts?

If you can describe the test you are performing and I can help a little more.

10-27-08, 06:01 PM   #3  
The switch box test is the first test after checking for a bad ground and isolating the rest of the boat from the motor for a bad off or kill switch. I looked hard for a bad ground and cleaned up everything that looked remotely bad.

It then calls for a peak reading voltmeter to test the switch box. Connect the red lead to the stop circuit wire at the switch box and the black lead to ground. Crank the motor and the voltage should be 200-360 volts. My reading was zero.

The Clymer book I am using does not mention the possibility of a zero reading, thus, my concern when the part costs about $300.

thanks for looking. Steve

MN

10-27-08, 07:33 PM   #4  
Ok that makes sense. I would test the stator before replacing the switchbox. The manual should give a test for it, it will include a resistance test and should test for s short to ground as well. If not that is what I tried to explain in my last post. Let me know if you can't find the stator test and I will check to see if we have a foctory manual at work.

Good luck

10-28-08, 07:27 AM   #5  
I will try that, hopefully this evening after work, and will advise with what I find. Steve

Search this Thread