Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

01-10-09, 09:48 AM   #1  
Engine Starting Problem

Hi, I have a 2006 Tracker 21 pontoon with a 90 hp merc 4 stroke. The battery is fully charged and all electrical systems work except there is no power to the motor. I jumpered the kill switch with no help and moved the remote throttle lever around. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-10-09, 11:28 AM   #2  
If it were a car, I would be checking for a bad starter relay and/or a starter soloniod. Check all connections on the engine for loose, corroded, or broken wires and terminals.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

01-10-09, 11:41 AM   #3  
goldstar, Thanks for the reply, but there is ZERO voltage getting back to the engine. Didn't find any broken wires, blown fuses, nor anything unplugged. I'm not a very good computer operator and haven't been able to find a wiring print. Don't know where to look for the switches.

NY

01-11-09, 12:51 PM   #4  
How are you determining that there is no voltage to the motor? What are you using to measure, and where are you taking the measurements?

Using a multimeter set to DC volts, several points should have +12 VDC when the black meter lead is connected to the battery:
-- Ignition switch (both the feed to it and the switched terminal leading from it.)
-- Kill switch, which you have already tested.
-- Battery positive
-- Starter motor
-- Solenoid
-- Alternator output after the diode(s)

Also, check the negative side of the battery to make sure its cable has a good connection to the motor's ground.

01-12-09, 07:36 AM   #5  
Hi Rick,
I went to the boat to change oil. Didn't have my meter with me. Just a voltage probe. All other electrical systems work normally. I suspect the neutral shift switch, but don't know where it is located. I have been unable to find a wiring print on line. The boat is kept an hour's drive way, so I want to eliminate everything I can before towing it to the dealer.

NY

01-14-09, 03:20 AM   #6  
The neutral switch won't stop it from running. It only kills the starter so you can't start it in gear. With the key on (in "run", not "start") and the motor in neutral you should still be able to jump the starter wires at the solenoid.

MN

01-15-09, 03:46 PM   #7  
The purple wire is 12v the yellow with red tracer is powered by the key switch and powers the starter solinoid. Check for grounds as well as power. I'm out of town till monday I'll check a manual then.

01-23-09, 08:02 AM   #8  
Hi, Thanks for the info. I plan to drive back to the lake the middle of next week. This time I will take my meter. I'll let you know what I find.

Search this Thread