Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat Dock Pencil to Collar Clearance

01-11-09, 04:39 AM   #1  
Boat Dock Pencil to Collar Clearance

I have a boat dock that uses 4 1/2" O.D. drill pipe ( pencils) inside 5" I.D. collars. With 1/4" of an inch clearance on each side, the pencils are prone to hanging up with the changes in the lake level.

If I changed to 6" I.D. collars giving me 3/4" of an inch of clearance on each side, would this help my problem? Would the 3/4" of an inch be excessive? Making this change just isn't a big issue to me as I am in the steel business and am also a fabricator.

Any help or input whatsoever here would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NY

01-11-09, 12:35 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

1/4" is not enough, but 3/4" might be too much. The larger collars would certainly help the dock adjust, but at the expense of stability when someone is walking on the dock. Can you take a different approach and split the difference with a couple of wooden blocks held by adjustable U-clamps? That's what some of the marinas do on their floating docks in my area. The wood eventually forms a natural smooth-moving surface around the pilings (pencils, as you call them) and the u-clamps can be adjusted to keep the sideways travel to a minimum.

We both know the real problem is lack of lubrication, but unfortunately we can't slather a bunch of grease above an environmentally sensitive waterway!

Search this Thread