Kawasaki Jet Ski won't start.

Old 01-26-09, 04:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kawasaki Jet Ski won't start.

Hi,

I have a Kawasaki Jet Ski which was serviced and used in March 2008. I have charged the battery and cleaned the spark plugs etc. However, when I try starting it, either with the choke fully closed or open, the engine cranks but will not start. I have checked that there are sparks in both spark plugs. The fuel seems to be getting sucked into the carby as when I remove the air filter and cover the carby by hand, the smell of fuel is evident. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Mike Braganza

Old 01-27-09, 03:58 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How old is the fuel? Did you use gas stabilizer before you put it away? Try spraying a bit of starting fluid into the carb. If it kicks over and then dies it may be due to stale fuel.

Also, if it backfires while your hand is over the carb you won't be doing that anymore.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 01-27-09 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 11:46 AM
J
I don't recomended use starting fluid its hard on the engine but it would let u know if you had a fuel problem or not. What year is the ski, because i have a 89 that had the same problem and in turned out to be a fuel issue, installed a primer and haven't had a problem since. (i thought i could smell fuel with air filter removed). I fought the problem for a year before finding out the fuel lines would loose their prime over time. So by installing a primer u can get fuel to the carborater. The lines prime themselfs once the ski starts running.

Old 01-27-09, 02:57 PM
M
Thanks Rick.
The fuel tank was drained and filled with fresh fuel prior to attempting to start the jet ski.

Old 01-27-09, 03:26 PM
M
Thanks Jeff.
The ski is a 1992 two cylinder model. I would consider your suggestion of installing a primer. Could you provide any details for the primer along with possible installation details?

Old 01-27-09, 03:59 PM
J
When i had issue similar to you, someone recommended that i contact John Zigler with Rock Co. Jet Ski, so i did and he recommended the primer. He can give u better details then i can on installation. His information is below.

John Zigler
Rock Co. Jet Ski
1135 n. parker dr.
janesville WI 53545
608-743-1305 10am to 3pm CST
mon to fri

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: