Foot Removal on 25Hp. Mercury

Old 02-16-09, 10:28 AM
Foot Removal on 25Hp. Mercury

I have a 25hp mercury Serial 721186 model 25HRXD that the reverse gear is warn I need to remove the foot but cant find where to disconect the gear shifter on all the preveries motors that I have worked on they have deen in the water intake on evenrudes or after spliting the foot there was a locking nuts which after disconecting alowed the foot to come off
on this one I cant seen to locate where to Disconnect

Can someone please help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 07:48 PM
Fallow the shift handle inside the engine cowl there is a pin at the end of it that holds the shift shaft in.

Old 02-19-09, 01:17 PM
gear shifter

Originally Posted by samuari View Post
Fallow the shift handle inside the engine cowl there is a pin at the end of it that holds the shift shaft in.
Thanks Samuari for the information I Found the pin and have removed the foot.

I picked up a used foot but it is a long shaft and the origanal is a short shaft I want to inter change the parts I am at the piont of removing the gear shifter it looks as if there is a rubber boot over the place where it is connected to the foot but it is hard like bacalite do I need a special puller to remove this to be able to pull the shaft out
On the Mercury site it shows the boot and the other part that I can see this is the part that I dont know how to take out

Hope you can come through for me once more

Many thanks

Old 02-19-09, 03:51 PM
If it's a soft boot that's gotten hard over the years it's probably best to replace it. Amazingly, a bit of dishwashing soap is the best lubricant to free up those types of seals.

Old 02-19-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
If it's a soft boot that's gotten hard over the years it's probably best to replace it. Amazingly, a bit of dishwashing soap is the best lubricant to free up those types of seals.
Thanks Rick I will try some soap right away and will let you know the results

Old 02-19-09, 06:42 PM
I've never removed any shafts on that gearcase just a couple impellers. Every other gearcase requires special tools to dissasemble and reshim. At this point you're better off paying someone to swap out for ya.

I have a spray bottle of soap hanging on my tool box I love the stuff!!

Old 02-20-09, 04:03 AM
I've never removed any shafts on that gearcase just a couple impellers. Every other gearcase requires special tools to dissasemble and reshim. At this point you're better off paying someone to swap out for ya.

I have a spray bottle of soap hanging on my tool box I love the stuff!!
My contact at the local marine shop is off with a broken hand but I will take the foot down to the marine shop to see what it will cost to have them show me how to remove the shaft

Soap did nothing for the softing the gormet but it is the cleanest gromet I got (LOL)

Thanks For All of your input will keep you posted on my progress

Old 02-20-09, 01:07 PM
Samuari
I took your advice went to the marine store asked what they would charge me they said that they would not do it for me because it was to simple
The mechanic told me to grip the shaft with a pair of vicegrip plirs pull the spring to full compresion then strike pliers with a hamer (PRESTO) shaft out the only thing holding it in place a oring and water pump plate

thank you for all the help
Job compleated time for Beer 4U2

Old 02-20-09, 05:16 PM
Good to hear ya got it.
So is the driveshaft 2 parts?

Old 02-22-09, 05:28 AM
Good to hear ya got it.
So is the driveshaft 2 parts?
IT was the shift rod it is all one part and it is a tap in fit with 1 O ring but when you reinstall the water pump it holes the shaft in place the
The disconect piont was right where you said in the crowl space

Thanks for all your help

Search this Thread