Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Battery charging

OH

03-05-09, 12:36 PM   #1  
Battery charging

I have a fishing boat with three deep cycle batteries and I have bought replacements every couple years because I think i'm not carign for them properly with charging in storage when not in use.

I bought a sears brand automatic charger to start over again, it's a model 200.71222 I tried charging by the manual on the 10 amp setting.
I put the charger on one battery and it instantly went to the far left and kept blinking the green charged light, not sure what that means, anyone know?

When i put the charger on the second battery it went to the right around the 10 setting and just stayed there for around 16 hours, what does that mean?

the third battery it started at the right near the 10 setting and then slowly came down to the left near the zero mark but never turned on the green light and it took around 16 hours to do that also,what does that mean?

I need advice also on how to maintain and care for my batteries ,this is a huge expensive waste.

Sponsored Links

IN

03-05-09, 04:12 PM   #2  
battery charging

WWC, there is a simple solution to your problem, purchase a battery load tester, you can use it with your personal cars and just about everything else that runs on gas or deisel. it will tell you the state of your battery. (12v) or less, and when you click the load button to test the battery it will tell you if the batt. is good or not, and. just look at it when the vehichle is running and it will tell you if the alternator is charging or not, its a great device to have. hope this helps

MN

03-05-09, 07:17 PM   #3  
Deep cycle batteries have about a 500 cycle life span. A cycle is any discharge and any charge. So the best thing for prolonging the life of the batt is to use it till it is almost completly discharged then charge it rather than charge it after every use. Another thing that shortens the life span is over charging use a automatic charger.

OH

03-06-09, 05:09 AM   #4  
I will get a load tester and check them out.

Anyone have a clue by what my charger is doing to what it means so far?

MN

03-06-09, 04:55 PM   #5  
I'm not sure about the charger you have but another thing to try and do is charge at the lowest amp setting possible. A good long slow charge will also help prolong batt life.

OH

03-07-09, 05:04 AM   #6  
Any idea why the meter never moved on the one battery, does that mean it's dead and can not be charged?

MN

03-07-09, 02:22 PM   #7  
Sometimes if a batt is completly discharged a automatic batt charger will not start to charge. It needs to sence some voltage to start so start witha manual setting and move it to a automatic. With onboard chargers that are only automatic I will use a booster pack on the batt for about 5 minn then start the charger once it starts I will then remove the booster pack.

03-08-09, 07:22 AM   #8  
battery charging

You can get the manual at this link.

Page 6 of the linked manual explains the green lights and the gauge functions.

OH

03-08-09, 01:51 PM   #9  
sorry tombob, the link takes me to a google page with a page of info and i couldn't find the exact link and oage 6 you talked about.
I have the manual that came with it but it doesn't say anything about lights.

03-08-09, 04:18 PM   #10  
the light should come on when the battery is fully charged it sounds like one of your batterys reached that point the other 2 need to be charged longer and it may take more than 16 hours for a fully dicharged battery.
if you have time you should use the lower amp setting its not always feasable to do so though as it takes to long.

OH

03-09-09, 05:32 AM   #11  
so 16 hours isn't too long for a charge?
I was thinking it was way too long and something was more wrong.

i'll try everything and see what happens.

MN

03-09-09, 04:53 PM   #12  
At a 10 amp setting the batt should be charged in about 8 hours giving it's a 800 cranking amp batt.

OH

03-09-09, 06:23 PM   #13  
Ok I got a load tester and it showed 8 volts on all the batteries and under load they all were very weak and aropund the 3 volt level, so does that mean all the batteries are bad and need replaced.

MN

03-10-09, 05:19 PM   #14  
If that was after a full charge then yes they are bad.

OH

03-11-09, 05:08 AM   #15  
I was afraid of that

Here i go again.

Search this Thread