94 50hp force problems

Old 03-17-09, 06:30 PM
Angry 94 50hp force problems

Hi this is my 1st post. Hope Im doin it right. I have a 94 50 hp force outboard. It will start and run for about 1 minute then it stops like you turned off the key. Its getting fuel . I checked the plugs and they fire only when its cold. After it runs for a min it gets no fire. Im not sure if its the stator,trigger,or something else. I dont think its the coils because I cant see both of them going out at the same time. I also unplugged my black and yellow kill switch wire just to make sure and it does the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 08:31 PM
I would test the stator. There should be 2 sets of wires coming out from under the flywheel. The simple test is to take a ohm reading between the 2 same colored wires cold, there should be a reading. Then run the engine untill it stops and take a reading again. I would bet it will read open. This is comon that a coil of wires weather it be stator or coil to have continuity when cold then when the component worms up the wire splits causing a open circuit.

I hope this hepls, I'm guessing on the numbers of stator wires.

Old 03-18-09, 05:32 PM
Well it works for now

Thanks sam for the info. I did the test and the stater was not reading anything cold or hot. I checked all my ground wires and all conections and she runs fine. Now the stater reads about 680 cold and hot. I let it run for about 15 min and all went well. Im alittle afraid to dip it in the water and take her for a spin. So I think I will fire her up in the morning, crack a cold beer and see which one of us quits first. Thanks again.

Old 03-18-09, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you know a bit about "testing".
I have seen corroded connections break down after being heated up. As far as the stator, the resistance sounds about right.
Good luck.