no water coming out at pee hole

Old 03-28-09, 11:19 PM
no water coming out at pee hole

Mercury 50 hp 4 cyl. about a '74 model
I changed the impellar myself for the first time. It was hard getting the impellar into the housing..but it's in. I don't think you can put one in upside down...yes, I did turn it clockwise.
I'm not sure of the little 2" tubing that I had to slip back under the housing water pump, and under that little tubing was a little rubber o ring. Anybody live close to Gadsden, Al??

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 05:36 AM
Not that its model related , I have a 77 Merc 500 (50hp).. but is this first startup after sitting a while ? Twice I had the tattletale-hole no water scare. Both times it was some kind of bug/etc that had crawled up the nozzle and plugged it. Try squeezing the nozzle around, maybe probe into it with something , but dont get too agressive with a small screwdriver or etc.. if its a bug it wont be too far up the pipe.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-29-09, 09:05 PM
I agree about the pluged tel-tale I use compressed air.

Old 03-30-09, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by kyle johnson View Post
Mercury 50 hp 4 cyl. about a '74 model
I changed the impellar myself for the first time. It was hard getting the impellar into the housing..but it's in. I don't think you can put one in upside down...yes, I did turn it clockwise.
I'm not sure of the little 2" tubing that I had to slip back under the housing water pump, and under that little tubing was a little rubber o ring. Anybody live close to Gadsden, Al??

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Just wondering when you changed the impeller did you reinstall the key way that locks the impeller on the shaft

Old 04-02-09, 05:01 PM
Yes...I put a little tiny bit of white multi-purpose grease (lubricant) to hold it on before sliding the impellar housing back down on it.

Old 04-02-09, 08:49 PM
I'm not familiar with that model, but does it have to worm up to open the thermostats before it will pee.

Old 04-02-09, 09:13 PM
No, it doesn't have to warm up and it doesn't have any thermostats.

Old 04-15-09, 07:52 PM
Had an issue with a motor that i had just purchased last year. Minimal water was flowing. When I took it to a mechanic, he advised that the water pump needed to be changed. $100 bucks later and she purred like a kitten.