Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

what size of motor goes with a 14 foot john boat?

05-03-09, 08:52 AM   #1  
what size of motor goes with a 14 foot john boat?

My father inherited a 14 foot john boat .He told me that i could have it. I bought a 35hp sea horse before i recieved the boat. This motor i quickly found out was to big. I then bought a 9.6 hp wards sea king from craigs list. I was told it ran. When i got home i found it was siezed. Im still in the market for a motor, and am looking on ebay at motors that rainge from 1.7hp to 20 hp. What is the best hp for a v bottom 14 foot john boat?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-03-09, 11:22 AM   #2  
I thought that john boats had a flat hull. Maybe it's just a very slight Vee. I would say 15 horse max and you would probably be pleased with a 9.9 horse on a boat that size. If the spec plate is still on the boat, it should indicate maximum horsepower.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

VA

05-06-09, 07:15 AM   #3  
I had a 14' fibeglass Gamefisher johnboat and ran a Merc 9.9 just fine on it. I still have the motor and it's for sale.

NY

05-06-09, 06:29 PM   #4  
Welcome to the forums.

A john boat is not going to pull a water skier. It's just a fun little watercraft that will get you where you want to go, maybe to fish or explore the shallows.

Overpower it with a 15 or 20 and you run the risk of losing control and flipping it. A 35 is downright dangerous. 10hp is probably the biggest motor you'd want to run on it. A 5 would work just fine.

Search this Thread