steering cable for a 28hp johnson SPL

Old 05-03-09, 03:36 PM
steering cable for a 28hp johnson SPL

started to take the pontoon out today and the engine was giving me trouble, i stayed near the dock, and, decided to go back to the dock to work on the engine, then the steering cable broke at the engine mount, it was very rusted.
the cable itself is approximately 12ft long and the type of cable is my question? to me the cable is a rack and pinion type, the inside cable is spiral and the steering column has a gear that moves the cable back and forth.
as for the hook up on the 28 HP Johnson SPL, it is mounted through the pivot point of the engine mount, would this add length to the cable? when i order a new one?
also, i would like to find out what year my motor is.

28 HP Johnson SPL
Mod# J28EL0D0
Ser# E6202126
the last four digits on the ser# may be (LCDC) the tag is a little wore out
any help would be appreciated
thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 07:25 PM
First off the model #is most likely lcdc or lcdo the cd indicates a 1986 if it were od it wold be a 1956.

Next, the cable is measured by the part that has the plastic coating from the rack end to the nut at the motor end. As far as the style of helm if the back of the helm is large and round it's a rotory, if it's about 12" long and about 2" wide it's a rack system. The det-mar company is no longer in buisness so if it's that brand the complete helm will have to be replaced.

Sounds like you got lucky it broke when it did and not underway.

Old 05-04-09, 01:26 PM
i did a little more research and your right it is a rotary, i found a cable that may fit and work but need to find out the way it hooks up to the helm, as for the engine, does that year have points? or electronic ignition? thanks again

Old 05-04-09, 02:21 PM
i took the helm apart and the nut that holds the cable on is a little bigger than the nut on the engine, is this the type that i need to get a kit? helm box, cable, and various hardware? insead of just a steering cable? the cable that i found has a e-clip type of mount on the helm side, mine on the boat does not.
thanks guys

Old 05-04-09, 07:09 PM
There are no pionts on that motor.

The only rotory steering I've delt with just has the pin but I haven't delt with a lot of rotory systems. If the price isn't a whole lot different I would just get the complete kit.

Old 05-07-09, 01:45 PM
hoping it had points

i was hoping that this engine had points, much easier to tune up and run better,OK, clean the contacts on the electronic contacts under the flywheel? and do i need a timing light to get it tuned up? its spitting and sputtering but runs good under load, any suggestions?

Old 05-07-09, 06:05 PM
As a simple tune up I check compression or do a leak down test, Install new spark plugs, change fuel filter, change gear lube. If that doesn't take care of it there is a sync and link procedure that sets the timing and syncronizes the throttle plates.

There is nothing to clean and you will need a timing light to do a sync and link.

Old 05-08-09, 01:56 PM
just an everyday timing light? i will need to bone up on the proceeder to time this engine

Old 05-08-09, 07:24 PM
Yes a regular timing light will do. A good test for the ignition is when it is acting up put the timing light on each spark plug wire to make sure it's firing.

The procedure is a bit compicated to understand without pictures so I would suggest buying a manual for your motor. It will easily pay for itself. Also if you have any questions it will be a lot easier to answer.