Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

60 HP Mercury Water Pump

CO

05-04-09, 05:33 PM   #1  
60 HP Mercury Water Pump

My 1997 does not seem to be moving much cooling water. It puts out less of a stream than my old 1996 8 hp Merc. It runs fine and I have not noticed any other symptoms. Is a water pump replacement within the range of backyard mortals? What is a good internet source for Merc parts? Thanks in advance for any help out there.

Sponsored Links

MN

05-04-09, 07:32 PM   #2  
Well a water pump is fairly easy.

First pull the safty lanyard as you will be working arround the prop.

Next is shift the engine into forword gear, it will make it easier to allign the driveshaft when installing.

Then you will remove the gearcase. I can't think of how many or what size the bolts are "13 hour day". There is one in the rear under the trim tab so that will have to be removed.

Once all the bolts are removed the gearcase may fall right off but sometimes it takes a little force there are 2 dowl pins it gets stuck on. The driveshaft will come with the gearcase but the shift shaft will stay in the mid section. You nwill also have to remove the speedo hose if it it is internal "have a pair of sidecutters that you can reach while holding up the gearcase".

Once it is off the impeller is keyed on the driveshaft. make sure of the rotation and turn the driveshaft while pushing the impeller housunf down "dish soap works as a lube on the new impeller".

After that is done slide the driveshaft up into the housing if the splines don't line up turn the prop so the driveshaft lines up.

I think that is about it but if you run into any questions I'll try to answer them. Good luck

CO

05-05-09, 08:00 AM   #3  
Thanks

I'll give it a try, but a couple more Q's. Does the engine need to be vertical or can I tilt it up for easier access? Do you know of any good parts suppliers on the internet? Boulder County only has one marine dealer and it is not very convenient from where I live. Finally, is the impeller the only part to be replaced?

MN

05-05-09, 06:05 PM   #4  
It is easier to do tilted up.

I don't deal with any online stuff "benefit of working at a dealership".

Get a complete impeller kit it comes with all gaskets you will need.

Search this Thread