Not able to start the boat

Old 05-07-09, 06:54 PM
Angry Not able to start the boat

Hello,

I am not able to start my boat! For reference, I am using SELOC Mercruiser Stern Drives 1992-01 Repair Manual, and have a Mercruiser 4.3L. The diagram is fig. 141, sec 10-67.

The starter is just out of the box and the battery is new with a 12.8V charge. There is power everywhere that I test: red cable from battery to starter; power across circuit breaker; power from ignition to slave sol; power from slave sol to starter. Also, I checked the continuity of the starter to ground and the negative cable itself, both fine.

When the key is turned all the way to ignition I hear the slave pull in (not sure of the starter sol) but that is it, even though the yellow/red has power down to the starter. I have the battery cable going to the correct spot, the yellow/red wire to the power to the right and the purple/yellow is on the left.

What’s going on?????

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 10:08 PM
could be a defective starter.

Old 05-08-09, 04:12 AM
Flirty1,

As much as I hate to I might take the starter off and try it on the bench. But its new and the other acted the same way.

I was thinking maybe the ground isn't sufficient? To test that I might use a jumper cable from the battery to the starter itself.

Old 05-08-09, 07:08 PM
If you are using jumper cables make sure to use the blower or better yet a fan to make sure there are no fumes in the bottom of the hull for any sparks to ignite.

If it's wired the way I'm picturing and have the purple wire as well as the yellow/red there should be key on power to the purple.

I have had a new starter that was bad, it's a long shot but it can happen.

Old 05-10-09, 06:27 PM
First, thanks Samuari and Flirt1.

Now, I went over everything again and the damnedest thing...slave sol had 11 or so volts. Problem solved with a new solenoid.

Old 05-10-09, 06:43 PM
Great, now get out and use the **** out of it.

Old 05-14-09, 12:30 AM
Absolutely! It will be in the water for the summer this Friday.