Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Evinrude E60 outboard what to do

05-17-09, 06:30 AM   #1  
Evinrude E60 outboard what to do

I just got a 16' starcraft boat with a 60hp outboard motor on it.
The problem is the boat sat for about 3 years without bieng witerized it was out of the water though. The engine looks clean under the hood no dry rote.
I just dont know what i should do to the motor before i try to start it. It needs a battery so i am going today to try and find the right size to fit it.
Could someone help me and let me know what i should do I am new to the boating world.
Thanks for all your input.
Tim

Sponsored Links

MN

05-17-09, 10:14 AM   #2  
First welcome to the forms.

I would check compression, clean the carbs and replace the waterpump impeller.

05-17-09, 11:21 AM   #3  
Thanks, for the replie where is the water pump impeller?
Sorry new to the boating world

MN

05-17-09, 11:36 AM   #4  
It's on the top of the gearcase. You will need to remove the lower part that the prop is attatched to.

The impeller is what pumps water to cool the engine. They are made of rubber and will wear out and if just sitting the rubber curls and won't pump water.

If you plan on keeping the motor I do suggest buying a manual, for the $25 the manual will cast it can save hundreds on repair bills. If there is something not covered in the manual we can help fill in the blanks.

05-17-09, 02:04 PM   #5  
Do you know a good site to purchase the owners manual?
Thanks for all of your help.

MN

05-18-09, 04:47 PM   #6  
You want a service manual, it will show you how to repair and maintain the engine, a owners manual will only show how to operate it. And like I said if it doesn't show something or you have any other questions we are here for ya.

Clymer is a brand that I've used. I'm not sure where to get one on the web.

Search this Thread