1-stroke outboad with reserve oil tank and external tank - add oil to both?

Old 05-21-09, 04:06 PM
1-stroke outboad with reserve oil tank and external tank - add oil to both?

hi there.

engine is a 2-stroke 135hp.

I noticed that I do not just have the external oil reserve - which is underneath the seat behind the engine, but also a smaller reserve oil box just inside the engine casing - right on top toward the front.

It does appear that the external tank hooks up to the smaller tank inside the engine cover.

They both have a good amount of oil.

should i expect that the external tank AND the internal oil tank has to have oil added to them on a regular basis? Or, assuming that i re-fil the external oil tank before it runs out, the internal oil tank would refil itself with the oil in the external tank?

I would imagine adding oil to the tank inside the engine case would be a bit difficult on the water.

What is the answer to this?

I read the manual to the engine but I did not get a clear answer to this.

Thanks
-joel

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 06:20 PM
Just add oil to the tank in the boat. It will pump oil to the tank on the motor. It does this with a small amount of air pressure so make sure the cap on the tank in the boat is on and tight.

If eather tank gets too low the alarm will sound. If it's the one on the motor just run the motor at idle and loosen the cap with the flat tab on the oil tank. That will fill the tank once it's about 3/4 full close the cap.