Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mariner tilt/trim problem

05-25-09, 05:09 AM   #1  
Mariner tilt/trim problem

I have a 18 foot ProCraft w/a 75 HP Mariner outboard. Last week when we went to the lake the motor was raised as we put the boat in the water. Lowered the motor and idled out of the "No wake" area. Throttled it up and tickled the tilt button on the throttle handle. Motor wouldn't raise a bit. Dropped down to idle and raised the motor..no problem. Lowered and took off again. Motor still wouldn't raise while underway. Went back to dock and trailered the boat. Checked fluid level and plug on side of reservior. It was tight.
Put boat back in water and same results. Re-trailered again and loosened the plug on the side and retightened. Back into the water and off again. This time I raised the motor before moving the throttle. As the boat gained speed, the water pulled the motor back down to the low position. Tried to raise it and still no luck. Loaded boat and brought back home, raised the motor and drained and replaced the fluid. Raised and lowered the motor 5/6 times to bleed air. Took back to lake and tried with same results.
Any ideas on why motor won't raise when underway but will when at idle and why, if motor raised when taking off, the water will pull the motor back to lowest position and not hold it where raised to?

Sponsored Links

MN

05-25-09, 05:05 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum!

Is this the 1 or 3 ram trim system?
If you take the plastic screw out look at the 3 o'rings to be sure they are not damaged also look at the tip I just had a broken one on my jackplate yesterday. If they are fine you might have to rebuild the pump assy. Some of the older models are hard to get parts for and the complete system will have to be replaced.

Search this Thread