1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC Motor Problem

Old 06-05-09, 06:34 PM
1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC Motor Problem

I think this would be a motor problem. I'm actually not sure what it is. When out on the water it use to jerk when in idle speed. Kind of like it was slipping out of gear. It did this once ever ten minutes. Now it's like once every two seconds. Now the boat stops completely, but is still running. When I give it more throttle it starts moving again. What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the board!

Ok this is what I'm thinking.
So your at idle speed say the tach is reading 1000 and the motor itself doesn't die for a slit second "you will see the neadle twitch" but you loose forword movement. If this is a acurate discription your problem os in the outdrive.

The omc outdrive uses a cone clutch system. This acts like a clutch in a manual transmission in a car but works competly different.

About all you can do is check the fluid level if it is over filled that will cause it to slip and wear faster. If that is good you will have to bring it in and have the clutch replaced.

Old 06-05-09, 10:36 PM
Hey thanks. I was talking to a guy that said he worked at a marina and he could fix it as a side job. Said it sounded like the gear cable was stretched out and it would cost $300 to replace. I thought $300 sounded like too much to spend for something sounding like it needed fixed lol. So I started looking around on the net today and found this place.

So when I go to check the fluid for the outdrive where would I need to look? Sorry I'm new to boats. Just bought it last year actually and really only know where the oil dipstick is.

Also I wanted to add that when I say jerk... it's like if you were driving down the road at about 30mph and you were tapping on the brakes. Not hard, but enough to make your back come off the seat, and then go back to the seat again.

Also thank you very much for your response. I took it to the dealership where I bought it last year and they charged me $400 for a water pump, told me that I needed a new thermostat that would cost $100 for them to replace, and said they couldn't find any jerking/knocking as I described. I wasn't strapped for cash when I bought it, but now I am. If the clutch needed replaced is it something you think I could figure out myself or should I have it professionally done? I have changed a clutch in a car before, but I'm sure it's not exactally the same.

Old 06-09-09, 08:34 PM
To check for fluid level there is a round screw with a straight slot in the top of the outdrive.

Next thing is to remove the plastic cover held in place with 3 3/8" bolts. under the cover is the end of the shift cable, take the cotter pin out and slide the cable free from the bracket. once it's free the bracket will have a detent feel when it's in neutral adjust the turnbuckle to slide in free, reinstall.