1995 115 HP Johnson Motor problem

Old 06-08-09, 07:26 AM
1995 115 HP Johnson Motor problem

I have a 1995 Johnson which runs fine initially but once I've trolled with it it seems to run on only 2 of the four cylinders. I have had it tuned up and problem still persists. I am assuming it may be an ignition problem and have been told the part runs $500. Are there any tests or other things I could check first?
Thanks in advance!
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the forums.

First thing I would do is verify that it's only running on two of four. Pull the plugs and see if any are fouled. If not, check for equal spark to all four.

Does this happen if you don't troll? How does it run if you're not at idle for long periods of time?

Old 06-09-09, 08:23 PM
Do you have access to a timing light? It can be used to check for spark without pulling a spark plug. Just hook it to the batt and clamp on a wire and point at anything as long as you see a flash then move on to the next wire.

Old 06-13-09, 06:37 PM
Missfire

I had a problem with a Merc where the voltage rectifier wasn't controlling the charging system output. The voltage became over 14v and that goofed the ignition module up. After sitting and cooling it would run again for around 20 minutes and do it again.
Bill