Boat recommendations

Old 06-25-09, 10:59 AM
Boat recommendations

I need some advice on the pros and cons on two type of boats i'm interested in.

One is a center console,and the other has steeering on the gunwale side.

Boats are 15 to 18 ft,outboards.
My use will be lakes,ponds,and occasionally in salt water bays.
Fishing,and pleasure.

What would be a good H.P. rating. Id don't want a slug,or to break the sound barrier.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 06:33 PM
A center counsel boat is great for fishing in larger water and for bigger fish. Lots of room to walk around the counsel.

A side counsel might be a little better to play with, or fishing for smaller fish that you don't have to fight as it goes arround the boat.

These are just my opinion without a lot of expierience with center counsels.

You might want to go to a dealer that sells bolth and spend a little time in a couple of each to find some likes and dislikes not saying to buy from a dealer it just is easier to get a feel for a couple boats in one place.

As for power I think a 150 is a good all arround hp.

Old 06-26-09, 04:33 AM
Maximum horsepower ratings are listed as part of the specs for boats, and it's generally a good idea to stay above 80% of that rating. The number of people, weight of the gear, and water in the live & bait wells add to the weight of the boat, and that requires more horsepower. If you plan to fully load the boat all the time, go with the top of the rating.

Ratings vary between manufacturers and construction. A 17-foot Tracker Pro Team TX can only handle 50 HP, while the same size Boston Whaler Montauk can handle 90 HP.

Buy a set of "ear muffs" so you can flush the engine with fresh water as soon as you pull it out after using it in the salt-water bays.

Old 06-26-09, 08:50 AM
Thanks Rick,

Why would one buy,say,a center console over a gunwale steering rig? Advantages/disadvantages

Old 06-26-09, 08:53 AM
Samuari,

Thanks for your reply.
Good information to start looking.

Old 06-26-09, 06:49 PM
Samauri already answered the center console Q ... If you're a fisherman, it's a pain to work the line over and around a side console while someone is maneuvering the boat. A center console allows the fisherman to walk all around on the deck.

Since you listed fishing as the first use, you might check out the bass boats. Very low profile with lots of deck space with a lot of horsepower and storage under the deck.

Old 06-27-09, 08:04 AM
I guess i look for a center console deep enough that is suitable for saltwater fishing in bays. Not having to hassle with a fishing line is a big plus .

I believe that a outboard is a better choice in doing the fresh water flushing of the engine.

Old 06-27-09, 11:18 PM
Not really. An inboard/outdrive (Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta) can be flushed just as easily. However, outboards are outside of the deck while an inboard engine requires a cover, or "doghouse", that takes up prime real estate on a small boat.