Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat Speedometer Ceased Functioning

06-26-09, 09:26 AM   #1  
Boat Speedometer Ceased Functioning

Recently purchased a used Sea Hunt that had been sporadically used and garage kept. On one of the first runs out, the speedometer was registering fine and after about 10 minutes it ceased to function and speed went to 0. I suspect the pitot may be plugged, but am not sure. Any advice on how to troubleshoot and possible causes?

Sponsored Links

VA

06-26-09, 12:28 PM   #2  
Posted By: Texas Mark Recently purchased a used Sea Hunt that had been sporadically used and garage kept. On one of the first runs out, the speedometer was registering fine and after about 10 minutes it ceased to function and speed went to 0. I suspect the pitot may be plugged, but am not sure. Any advice on how to troubleshoot and possible causes?
i disconnect at speedometer end - should get stream of water out -if not the fault blockage is further back - disconnect pipe at engine - stream now ?

based on results you should be able to determine where fault is. I have success by blowing backwards with compressed air to clear - hope this helps

Stephen

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-26-09, 02:28 PM   #3  
Or do as I did, sit there wondering why I had a very small leak along my right gunwale. A rat had chewed through the pitot tubing and it was dripping causing erratic speedometer readings. Double barb connector fixed it right up.

Search this Thread