looking for the plane truth ;-)

Old 07-11-09, 04:13 PM
looking for the plane truth ;-)

so i've got an old 15' pro yukon v-hull with a 40hp evenrude on the back of it. let me tell you, it gets up and goes in a second but i've had trouble keeping it up on a plane. i've been toying with the trim and haven't had any luck, keeping most of the people weight toward the back of the boat helps but i feel like it drops down most of the way after a few minutes.

my father had a fishing boat when i was younger and i remember it having these things called "dolphins" attached to the motor just above the prop. they were triangular and mounted counter to each other, horizontially. from what i'm told they keep the boat higher out of the water and thus you get a faster, more efficent ride with less wear on your motor.

any truth to this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-09, 07:50 PM
They do work on some boat and motor combos but not all. I think it would help on your application but can't say for sure. What it does is increases the area of the cavitation plate as long as it is in the water the hydrofoil will help keep the boat on plane.
I use them on my race boats, it planes quicker with less negitive trim.

They are easy to install as long as you don't mind drilling holes in the cav. plate. It's worth a try.

Old 07-27-09, 07:37 AM
pro-foil!

i put these on that afternoon and i haven't been able to respond yet because ive been out boating every chance i get now! those little fins are the most powerful 2 lbs. on the boat!

Old 07-27-09, 07:53 PM
Great to hear. Now go burn more gas!