Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker Throttle Problems

Old 06-11-09, 06:57 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker Throttle Problems

I have a Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker on a Lund ProSport. When I start the kicker up it runs and idles fine. If I rev it up a little and then return the control to idle it stays reved up. If I do nothing for about 15 minutes it will start to come back to idle.
If I shut off the motor with the key and wait for about a minute and then restart, it will be back to a normal idle.

I just bought this boat (2007) and the previous owner states it has done this since new. (He just never bothered taking it back for warranty )
I am a long way from the dealer where the boat was purchased so no help there.

Any Ideas?

Very much appreciate any help!

Old 06-12-09, 05:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Is this a tiller or remote motor? it might be a mis adjusted cable.

Take the hood off and watch the throttle lever on the carb, it should move with the cable. I think if the throttle shaft is bent or if the shaft bushings might be binding.

Old 06-14-09, 07:24 PM
B
Thanks for the reply "samuari"

Is this a tiller or remote motor?
It is a remote, Forword,Reverse,throttle and up and down trim is all controlled up by the steering wheel. Same type of controls as the main engine.

I did take the "hood" off this weekend and if a just lightly push on the throttle shaft it will go back to a low idle, but if I use any throttle at all , then once again it will stay reved up way beyond a normal idle.

Any tips on checks or adjustments?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-14-09, 08:08 PM
S
I clean these things all the time but I can't picture exactly how the linkage is set up.

If you open the throttle shaft on the carb by hand it should snap back, there is a spring on the shaft that pulls it back. If you have to nudge it a little and it doesn't snap back on it's own there is a problem with thecarb and it will most likely have to come off.
I will take a look at one tomorrow, I can't picture the linkage setup tonight. It should be a easy fix.

What are you running for your main motor? Just curious I work at a lund dealer and like to hear the good and bad about them. I do like the prosport model.Beer 4U2

Old 06-14-09, 08:42 PM
B
Thanks again for the quick reply...

What are you running for your main motor
Main motor is 115 HP Merc, I bought this just a couple of weeks ago but so far so good on the main motor, starts and runs great, it is quiet and seems pretty good on fuel as well.
It might be a little heavy once you include the kicker, I say this because even when running at full throttle you can only trim the motor up about 1/4 on the gauge, any more than that the the front starts "porpoising". For the most part I am super happy with the boat. The kicker is a little fustrating but hopefully with your help I can get that fixed up!

Click here for full-size photo.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 06-23-09 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Resize photo
Old 06-15-09, 06:29 PM
S
Everytime I went to go out in the lot to look at the kicker I was pulled away, so I will try tomorrow.

Old 06-16-09, 06:07 PM
S
Ok It was as I thought. Take the hood off and loosen the philips screw on the side of the carb that is holding the rod in place. open the throttle and let it snap back, retighten the screw. This will reset the closed throttle position. This SHOULD take care of it, if not let us know and wee will go a little further.

Old 06-16-09, 07:56 PM
B
Thanks Samuari,

I will try it out this weekend and let you know.

Really appreciate the help!!!

Old 06-21-09, 08:52 PM
B
Well I removed rod, opened throttle and let it snap back but same thing.
I snapped a couple of pics in the hopes that will help.

Just a slight push on one of the cables and the motor goes right back to a nice low idle.

The yellow arrow in the picture is the rod I push on and the red "vee" or arrow is the direction I push it in. It seems like it may be an adjustment thing or a sticky throttle cable but I know very little about this so hope the pics help, thanks again.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 06-23-09 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Resize photos
Old 06-22-09, 07:19 PM
S
Take the cotter pin out and remove the end off the cable turn it out in 1 revolution intervals untill it pushes the throttle plate closed.

Old 06-22-09, 08:00 PM
B
Will try next weekend and let you know how it works.

Thank you again..

Old 06-23-09, 04:40 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know a whole lot about outboards, but on I/Os they recommend a few drops of 30-weight oil to lube the section of the shaft that enters the cable.

Old 06-23-09, 09:01 PM
B
I don't know a whole lot about outboards, but on I/Os they recommend a few drops of 30-weight oil to lube the section of the shaft that enters the cable.
I think I will try that as well, sometimes the engine will return to a normal idle when I am taking the cover off or if I just touch that cable, so maybe it is just sticking a bit, mind you the original owner states it has done this since new.

Old 07-12-09, 09:40 PM
B
Smile

Thanks a ton guys, Finally got back to the lake and removed the cotter pin, turned out the "Grey Plastic Piece" on the end of the cable a couple of turns and she seems to work great, didn't get a lot of time in trying it out but it seems to work just fine.
Thank you for the advice! Very much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: