Rust in Gas Tank

Old 07-15-09, 10:17 AM
FMD
Rust in Gas Tank

Does anyone have a solution or solutions for removal of rust in the old metal tank? I have a tank from a 1956 Evinrude that has some rust inside.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Lot of people say about a qt of WD40 and a handful of metal nuts...then shake shake shake, drain and repeat if required.

They also have kits at motorcycle shops with a rust remover you pour in and swirl around over a period of time, allow to air dry..then a sealer.

I've used "Metal Prep" (a phosphoric acid solution) as well, for rust removal on metal parts. About $10 a qt at most home centers or hardware stores.

Old 07-15-09, 11:39 AM
FMD
Thanks . I have swished a liter of CLR (calcium,lime,rust remover) it took some ou not all. I will try one of your other recommendations

Old 07-15-09, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
The metal prep is much stronger than CLR. Don't get it on any paint though.

Old 07-15-09, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aaah, 1956, good year. Does the push button primer still work? I use Purple Power and small mail chain, about 2' in length. Just roll it around. It may take several applications, but it usually comes out shiny.

Old 07-15-09, 01:45 PM
FMD
Yes the primer works good. A brief history. I bought this model 10012 serial # 14596 a month ago at a yard sale for $80
Very good shape most of the original paint only thing not original was the 2 knobs on the high and low carb setting. I have no idea of what they looked like. Runs good in the tank ( even with old gas and a bit of rust in the gas tank) but have not fine tuned the carb settings. I will wait till I give the gas tank a cleaning and then I will put it on a boat.
One interesting thing is that I had an old 10 HP Johnson that has been laying around for about 20 years and it happens to be an 1956. About the only difference I can see is the color and the hood. Looks like I have a complete set of parts.
Do you have any idea what the high and low speed knobs looked like on the Evinrude? The Johnson has 2 lever type setting knobs but from the hood the Evinrude maybe did not use the lever type.

Old 07-16-09, 01:23 AM
Found an old catalog online.

Johnson & Evinrude were virtually identical from the 60's on. In the 50's they were very close, but some parts weren't interchangeable.

My brother is a collector of sorts. He has several early 60's EvJo's, a '53 Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 40 and a '56 Mark 55. He's got 'em all running like tops.